CLOSED: Tomato worm???

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

If this is a tomato worm it is the largest I ever saw. It is about 3 1/2 inches long & 3/4 fat. I found it on the ground in DHs hosta garden. He could sure play havoc on a plant.
Sugar

Thumbnail by Sugar_fl
Tokyo, Japan

Sugar_fl -

By "Tomato Worm" I assume you mean Hawkmoth (Sphingidae) larvae - if so, it should sport a big horn-like appendage on it's rear end, but I can't see that in the picture.

Sure is a biggie though!

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

Good worm.this is a natural bag to hold seeds.):

Temecula, CA(Zone 9a)

This is a caterpillar belonging to the silk moth family (Saturniidae). The moth is both large and colorful. It is a bit difficult to figure the exact species out by this photo, but it appears to be a Hyalophora or Callosamia species. For more info try here: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/lepid/moths/usa/964.htm

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I can't believe I missed a bug!! It's not a bad one.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Bugguy.. Thanks,
I looked at that link & it looks like our county (Holmes county) is colored in for location. He/she is no longer with us. I haven't seen any others around. Calilily I'm sure U could have given me the correct answer too.
Sugar

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

would have given a bunch betting on hawkmoth. so how can I tell the difference, cause they look so much alike

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

TiG, this one has no horn on it's backside. Here is a link with lots of caterpillar pictures and if you go to their home page, you can get all kinds of technical info on the "body parts" of cats. http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/2000/cateast/families.htm

Found quite a few this year in my soy bean crops,this fat worm looks like the silk worm.dear mother would use the bag
made of the worm to hold her heirloom flower seeds (balsam imaptients,a fragrant-foliage weed).it is said that this bag can prevent from moisture and has good ventilation.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

jianhua, what did she do? Kill the worm, then cut the head off, squeeze out the innards, then dry it? Wonder if that can be done w/any big caterpillar.
Care to elaborate? Sounds like something I'd try. :>)

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Looks a lot like the Polyphemus larva to me. It might also be a Cecropia larva.....they look a lot the same and the details of the small colored knobs on the bace are difficult to see in the picture.Did you find it near a mulberrt bush or a lilac bush?

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I found it near Hostas & elephant ears on the ground.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Ewwww and ROTF, 'Shoe! He's probably talking about the cocoon they wrap themselves up in to do their metamorphosis thing. That sounds like a neat idea!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh Poo!...Wingy, that doesn't sound like near as much fun!
Dawgs, and I was actually gonna try it my way. Oh well....my loss. ;>)

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

You can still try your idea when you make one of those worm-innard-shakes ~ was it bt you were making? You can even take four regular ones and one great big one and sew them on a glove that you've been missing the fingers on. Hmmm ... I wonder if Tandy Leather has a tanning kit for that?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh my! You ain't right! I can just see a whole new line of products coming from outta your way!

Hi,Horseshoe,
Yes, your descripation is it.certainly you can have a try if you happen to catch a few aged yellowish caterpillars.(don't fear the worm will not bite your fingers. ): )
Mom was a farmer.she used to hold the balsam impatients and basil seeds in the bag.it worked very well -- expereiences prove the sprouting rate is always much higher.(sounds funny,but practical)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow!...you're kidding! so cool!
So, gut the caterpillars and make the bag? I gotta try this.
After all, if for many years people would use the stomachs of animals for water carriers, and the intestines for, uh..uh..whatevers, then surely we can make use of an empty caterpillar.
Many thanks, Jianhua.

(Oh yeh...Wingy! Nyah nyah nyah boo boo! :>) Methinks you need to make a "cat bag"! ô¿ô

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

ROTF! Oooooh, that's too weird! I'll have to try it! And cat bags, Shoe?! We do have a barn cat that's been getting a little too close to getting in the house... Then there's all those rats the cats aren't getting... And bats {She says looking around for Mark and Phil} ~ cat bags, rat bags and bat bags. I can see an entire line ~ I'll call them Phat Bags! Yeah, that's it!

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Wingnut,
Will U have all those for sale in the DG store *LOL*

*LOT*(laugh out tears)
Yes,believe it or not,that was the way dear Mother dealed with the seeds.but that was just the thing and the time of Christapher Columbus'.to tell you the truth,i do not follow her suits to store my flower seeds. ):Just gave that post here for kidding.
BTW,i am starting to go round the Store to see if there they sell bargain stuffs.and if possible,in the future,i will apply for a stall exhibiting some little lovely hand-made gadgets to exchange a few bucks for head and tail game ):

Morristown, NJ(Zone 6a)

Looks just like the ones they were eating on the reality show, "Fear Factor"!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

that's what they did eat, can you imagine?????????? yuck! and that green stuff squirted out, I thought I was going to lose my dinner.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Ewww, YUCK! I LOVE to watch my chickens eat them ~ they think they're little green twinkies. ;) But seeing a PERSON eat them?! BLECH!!! LOL!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Everybody hates me, nobody likes me, think I'll eat some worms. First you cut the heads off, then you suck the guts out, then you throw the rest away. Well, guess now we have a use for them!
(I hope I am not the only one who remembers this song)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I remember!! Big fat juicy ones, long thin slimy ones, oh how they wiggle and squirm.
Still not eating them:)

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

That's like the found a peanut song....have eaten some rotten peanuts though.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm trying to teach granddoll that song:) drives her mom crazy:)

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

That's what Grams are for.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

hehehe!!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Y'all are too funny! Yep, that's what grams are for. That and buying those obnoxiously loud push toys that "pop" continuously. Heh-heh-heh...

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

And Drums.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Weeds Boy did U bring back memories with that "found a peanut" song... As a young kid my cousins & I would lay in the grass singing that. I kinda thought we made it up but guess we didn't. You are the 1st one I ever heard mention it. We did add a lot of verses to it I'm sure as we tried to see how long we could keep it going.I think it went like this for ones who don't rememeber it.
Found a peanut, found a peanut, found a peanut just now.. just now I found a peanut found a peanut just now....It was rotten, it was rotten.. it was rotten just now.. just now it was rotten.. it was rotten just now....ate it anyway.. ate it anyway.. ate it anyway.. just now I ate it anyway.....(on & on) Is that the same one U are talking about? I wonder if it is on the net *LOL*
Edited to add URL.... I think everything is on the net.. http://www.pnuts.net/found.cfm
Sugar

This message was edited Monday, Mar 17th 5:26 PM

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I love it too. We keep bags of peanuts around, and Emily brings them to me singing 'crack it open', it's funny as all get out!
the verses we sang:

found a peanut....
cracked it open...
found it rotten...
ate it anyway...
got sick...
called the doctor...
said I wouldn't die...
died anyway... (i've been warned not to teach this verse:)
went to heaven....
woke up....
found a peanut...

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

TiG I don't remember exactly the order but know we made up a lot. I'm downloading it now off Winmix..it is funny the things we remember from our early childhood. Sometimes remembering is fun unfortionately sometimes it isn't.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

will you send it to me?????? oh my granddaughter would love to hear someone besides me sing it.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Tig don't U download MP3s? I'm not sure how to send them. There was several there by that name. The one I have is kids singing. It did have the died anyway in it. I wonder if I can send it in a attachment?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

yep girls, that's the one and we died anyway too!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you should be able to send it as an attachment. missytig@charter.net
I did go there a while and then spring came. would really appreciate it.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

got the song, thank you so much!!! can't wait to see her face.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.