How can cactus be killed?

Burwell, NE(Zone 4b)

We would like to get rid of cactus that is growing in our pasture. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to get rid of it aside from just digging it up? there are 2 kinds...prickley pear and then a smaller one that looks like little fingers. We live in zone 4b.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I would love to have some of the smaller kind if you are going to offer any for postage or trade. Thanks..
Larkie

Valley Village, CA

Let water run on it for days, it will rot with too much water. Or you may want to rent a bulldozer. Norma

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I would love a box of prickly pear if they are hardy there.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I could loan you my DD, she can kill any plant!

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Nesandy, I would love the "little finger" kind for postage. You don't even have to dig them up for me: just break off some of the stems and put them in a box. E-mail me if you are willing. Puh-leeze! :) Kathy

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Just curious: how many pleas did you get? Gleefully waiting to see mine!

Valley Village, CA

Overwater, consistantly during cold weather. The colder the better, continue to do so until it just rots. Norma

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

The smaller, finger kind is probably tassojillo, which will be even more invasive than prickly pear. I wish someone would take it from my pasture. I have burned it to a crisp, only to find new starts in the ashes a year later. It produces a little round red fruit after the small, insignificant yellow flowers, which is eaten by wildlife and thus spread as far as they travel. And each tiny piece that breaks off is a new plant, like sedum but not as desirable.

Dripping Springs, TX

Oh Aimee I hope that doesn't travel of "A" to me. I've got enough problems.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

OOH, Aimee, could you send me some tasajillo?
begging.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.