Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

P. somniferum, Young Plants - Seward, Alaska - Late June 2002

Common name: Opium Poppy
Family: Papaveraceae
Genus: Papaver
Species somniferum

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/31965/

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I just love these Carol. I have just sown some black peony poppies similar to your Laurens grape but double. Do you sow them in the autumn? They grow away much better ready for the spring.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Psilo, I love them, too. I've grown the black peony poppies, as well: http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/2980/

I start the somniferums indoors in the spring because our season is so short here. However, I get occasional volunteers, but much later in the season. I collect lots of seed, but I grow so many different kinds it is hard to be sure they will come back true.

Hello, this is my first post here. I have a question if you dont mind. Does planting the poppies so close in a container like that stunt the growth or the seed production of the poppy? response appreciated , thanks. sumo.

p.s. ill post some pics of my home garden of black peonies. they grow great here in southern california.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Welcome, Sumosamncali! Yes, they are planted closer than usual. My husband, freshly out of Master Gardener class was in charge of planting them this year. We had a rather miserable summer here... cold at night and rainy. I didn't get my usual show, but, as you can see from the poppy heads look good. We're well into fall here, so I'm letting the pods mature a bit before cutting them down.

I love the black peony poppies! I've grown them myself, along with most any other color. I also love the Antique Flemish ones that are a creamy white with a reddish swirl.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oops! The image didn't load...I'll try it again.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, I guess it isn't going to let me do it... I'll email you!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Just testing to see if I can post a picture now.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Just trying to see if the problem is universal or just Weezin that can't post photo

Thumbnail by Zanymuse
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

One more try

Thumbnail by Zanymuse
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Zany, at least I know it isn't just me!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Warning: Unable to create '/www/forumpics/Zanymuse_1033889385_599': No such file or directory in /www/garden/inc/util.php on line 223
failed to copy /www/forumpics/Zanymuse_1033889385_599...

Is this the same warning you got?

Also it will not allow me to edit my entry but sends me to page expired notice

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Zany. I asked Dave about this before: http://davesgarden.com/t/362634/ . He thought it occurred because my image was too large, but that was not the case. I was able to add the image after he did something, but what I don't know. Apparently there is still a problem.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I tried 2 different images. one I had used in the pdb this week and one that I had not posted befor in case it was rejecting the first as a duplicate.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I'll have a go too
Just in case it's only accepting images from my side of the pond LOL

Thumbnail by philomel
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Well maybe Dave will be able to duplicate the problem this time. I don't know a thing about programming but luckily Dave does!

Ooooooooooooh - mine worked!!
?????????????????????????????

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This is really odd. I just posted a photo into this PDB thread: http://davesgarden.com/t/363553/ I wonder why it is not consistent?

Thanks for the help, you two. Maybe we'll just have to email photos to Philomel and let her post them!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

OK Now this is confusing! I am going to go make the file size really small and see if it works

Ok now it will let me edit too! Hmmm. Goblins and beaties seem to be playing tricks on us tonight!

This message was edited Sunday, Oct 6th 3:52 AM

Thumbnail by Zanymuse
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

OK, now I am confused. After Phil posted a pic, I can too. This is basically what happened the last time. Dave posted a pic on the other site, so he assumed all was OK and it was a problem with my file size. You're right, Zany, Dave's the programmer!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The only thing I know I did different this last time was I hit preview first. On the other trys I skipped the preview and hit send. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Nope, I've tried it both ways. I don't think file size is the issue, unless your photo was really large. Mine are all well within size and I've had no problem posting them elsewhere in the forums. It's all very strange... someone go wake up Dave!....well, maybe not, we can wait until tomorrow or Monday, I guess. Nothing like a grouchy, sleepy guy in robe and slippers!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, I used the one that I tried first and failed with and never got around to changing the file size. It is the same file that was rejected the first attempt!

As for knocking on Dave's door and waking him up...not me! He might show up at the door wearing Dreadlocks and scare me to death befor he strangled me! I think you are right...it can wait :~)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, I am going to toddle off to bed now... it's midnight here. It's raining outside and my DH is snoring in the bed across the room from me... ah, the call of the illusive trumpeter swan! Well, I'll go to sleep knowing this photo problem isn't just some figment of my imagination... I have enough figments as it is! Goodnight, Zanymuse.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Could this be caused by the time? I mean sis we try to enter pictures while the system was on some auto pilot cleanup or something and when it was done it started working again?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, it's my morning, so I'm back. Dave asked me to try again, so I will, though it began working again last night. Here goes:

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

So, now it's working again. I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again. I'll keep posting additional pics to PDB forum threads til we have enough to give it the true test.

Wow, another lovely photo Weez! I like this testing thing - getting to see pics you haven't shown before and they're great.

Where's this one?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, it has been interesting hasn't it! Zany's pic of the giant redwoods was pretty impressive, too! Perhaps we should just start a thread of unrelated pics...just post whatever pops into our minds. It might be fun.

This photo was taken down the road at my son's property on the river...Salmon Creek, I believe. We have so man waterways around here it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins! As you can see, our rivers are gravel based, and the water looks quite chalky from all the glacial silt.

In fact, when flying over some glacier fed lakes, they look aquamarine blue...quite beautiful. I've wondered whether adding glacial silt to soil would offer some good minerals... of course it would have to be used sparingly since it is so fine and would compact.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The silt sounds like it would be a great additive to the soil. Maybe you should experiment with it a bit and see what happens. Who knows you may discover a whole new cottage industry in selling it in wee packets worldwide ;~)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Maybe it is rich in composted dinosaur poo! My rock gardening friend swears by finely ground shale as a soil base. You just never know until you try, I guess. Maybe I'll start experimenting next year.

Oh, i missed your redwoods Zany, they're fantastic!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Thamks Philomel, I find them to be one of the most awe inspiring creations in the world :~)

Appomattox, VA

The poppies I planted from seeds are so weak. The roots are like threads. Is this normal?
Hypnotized

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sorry for the delay in answering. Yes, the plants are rather delicate in the early stages, and can be difficult to transplant. Many people plant onsite and thin them rather than move them. I have always had good luck transplanting, but it is best to start them in a fine, light starter mix. I surface sow them with sand. When they get their second set of leaves, they can be transplanted, but do not touch the stems or pull on them. I worry them out of the starter with a flat object, then plant them in cell packs. I lose a few, but most make it. Later, I transplant them outdoors when the weather warms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.