Hungry cat

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

A Gulf Fritilary cat munching on the passifloras. Look at the pollen stuck on his 'stickers'.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Gross! Spray him!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

you have the oddest creatures Cala!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

As long as mine don't eat the whole plant, I leave them alone to turn into butterflies.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

they destroyed my pfs but the beautiful orange 'flying flowers' are so enjoyable. plus they put their cocoons on the front trellis and we've enjoyed watching them hatch out:)

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh no, never spray, the butterflies are so beautiful and make up for any damage done..
Larkie

They don't eat much and the butterflies are beautiful.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I've never seen one of those before. Guess I'm not close enough to the Gulf???? Cala, or anyone, what kind of cat enjoys eating Parsley? Nice little green/black/yellow??? stripped cat. Has to turn into something beautiful. I'm just thinking it might be too late this year.

Brugie, you are lucky, it's going to be a beautiful Eastern Black Swallowtail. http://www.artgally.com/gseal/images/Eastern%20Black%20Swallowtail%20Butterfly%20on%20Thistle.jpg

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

is this one of your pictures Cala??...........beautiful

Heavens no!! I can't get them to stand still long enought to get a good pic.

(Zone 5a)

Cala this is the first time I have seen one of these critters, beautiful colors.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Well, they are gone now.........never did see the butterflies. They even left me some of the parsley. Sure were busy munching for a while. Thanks Cala.

Temecula, CA(Zone 9a)

I took this pic of a gulf fritillary last weekend. They really enjoy nectaring at the lantanas! This is the reason I don't spray my passion vines. It's worth losing a few passion leaves to enjoy watching gf's visiting all of the garden flowers. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy the passion flowers, but having butterflies flit around the garden is why I planted them originally. Without the birds, butterflies and other insects the garden wouldn't be as interesting and alive...for me anyway.

Thumbnail by Bugguy
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Bugguy, you are so right. I had more butterflies this year than ever before and I really enjoyed them. However there are some insects that I could do without. Would like to know how to avoid the cucumber beetles. They devour my brug blooms. Any suggestions? You can email me if you have the time. Thanks!!

They do love the lantana, and didn't eat too much of the passifloras. The cats are all gone now. I did find a baby tree frog in the greenhouse today, he sat and watched me for a long time.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Mine are gone too, they left a lot of passionflower foilage. Usually they eat EVERYTHING!
I let them do what they will, I like the butterflies so much. Butterflies need us all to help them, whenever we can, by planting food and nectar and housing sources.
Melva

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Melvatoo, do not let Cala fool you! She fattens the cats up because they are tasty in her cat stew not because she is their friend!! LOL

Kell, don't share ALL my secrets!!

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Susie, I love that picture. Kinda looks like he was drunk, hanging down like that. What did you put on those pf's??

Vodka??? lol

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Cat stew?? That sounds awful! Tell me you don't do that...
Melva

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.