Final 2 Dry Gourd Identifications

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Here are the other two dried gourds I'm trying to identify per my first post.

Link to first post -- http://davesgarden.com/t/362910/

Like I said in my other post, I'm really excited to start working with the gourds and I am hoping to craft some bird houses for Christmas gifts.

I think the one on the left is a penguin gourd and perhaps the one on the right is a swan gourd? When I drill into them to clean them and remove the seeds, I would like to correctly label the seeds for future exchanges, etc...

Thanks for your help :)

Thumbnail by Morph
Crossville, TN

Morph...you know I am no expert but I have dipper gourds that come out just like the one on the left...and the one on the right seems to be a swan for sure. I just read in one of the liks that Iris put on that while the original seed bought from a seed company might be "true" to their species, they can cross pollinate and have different kinds than the original. I have "second generation seeds" that seems to have different kinds of gourds on the SAME VINE...or at least came out of the same seed packet that was given to me...weird! Jo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Yes, even though I read that, I didn't think about it with relation to these or the gourds I'm growing now. Thanks for pointing it out to me, duh!

I think what I'll do is put a small picture of this on any packets of seeds I share. Then, add the disclaimer about cross pollination possibilities :)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.