Poinsettia crop

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Here is part of our Poinsettia crop for this winter.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Bowie, AZ(Zone 8B)

Calalily, may we see this again when in bloom? Great crop coming on and beautiful greenhouse!!

I want one just like this for my Jungle House, but DH won't budge, said something about a crop that pays the bills???

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Gee, tell DH he's just bein' a spoil sport. I'd want one, too!!!!

Go Vols, I beg every day for this greenhouse.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Cala what is in the hanging pots?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

**BOOM**

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Suzie you have to stop doing that to me! I fainted again!!
That is some greenhouse and nice crop of poinsettias there!
went to cala's tropicals and got another bump on my head! ;]

I luv this pic-cant wait to show my DH! and give him a little whine whine whine whine!:-}

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Great shot, and a lot of work there folks. I just spent two hrs the other day talking w/a seasoned greenhouse grower about this and that. After 35 yrs he and his wife have decided to give up their fall sales after this year(he is 70). He and is wife are "only doing 6000 this year, and even that is getting to be a bit much for us"...his words. After shooting the breeze I found out just how much work is involved in poinsettias...Cala has her hands full! Between monitoring daylight/darkness, combatting white flies on a regular basis, smoking the greenhouse for mold/fungus etc, sheesh! Plus before that doing all the rootings/starts. All this in addition to the numerous other plants and such.
That picture there tells me quite a bit of time is spent on Cala's project. I wonder how she finds time to relax.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i know how shoe-she likes boxing plants up to us -thats how she relaxes!!!! LOL

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe, yep. That must be the funnest part of it all!!

Shoe, I spend my "relaxing" time pollinating brugs, or checking on the seed pods!! Oh yeah, I like packing boxes too, and counting my stash of boxes and newspaper.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sheesh! A world of entertainment! "You ain't right!" τΏτ

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Cala, how do they look now? I love poinsettias. Forgot to dig mine until yesterday. Do you think it will bloom on time?

Brugie, it needs natural daylength(no light at all after the sun goes down) from now till about Thanksgiving to initiate flowering. Mine look weird right now, they have been pinched and are starting to grow. Bill was a week late pinching them, hope they still finish on time.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Cala, that is pretty impressive. I wish you great success with them this year!

I too would like to see a photo of them when they are in bloom.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Can't wait to see them. Cala!!

"eyes"

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I admire your initiative!!
And here I was whineing about all of my work outside.
Good luck on your enterprise.
A gardening friend, Maxine

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

OH I love Poinsettias! can't wait to see all bloom!!!

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I have two that I saved from last Christmas. I pinched them back during the summer and had them outside until about 10 days ago. I didn't pinch them back though. Every day when I get home from work I put them in total darkness.
In the morning before I leave, I bring them back out and put them under fluorescent lights. My question is, will this still work since I didn't pinch them back in the fall?

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Canot wait to see them in full color. Ted

The pinching isn't to make them bloom, it's to make them have MORE blooms. By taking out the central leader, it makes the lateral branches grow, and more branches means more blooms. I think your plant should do fine, since daylength is what initiates blooming.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Whew! thanx. Only time will tell.

Susie, Impressive. Keep on bugging DH for THAT greenhouse. WOW.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.