Lantana

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

http://davesgarden.com/t/350446/
here is a link on the plant here on DG. And once established it is a great performer here in the desert. My verbena live as an annual here. Lantana takes extreme heat and drought. I have multicolored and AND now a pale lavendar. I want to get white and yellow next year.

Thumbnail by michele5000
Temecula, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you ever get frost out there in Joshua Tree? Here in Hemet we get a few days worth each winter it seems, and my Lantana suffer. I lost several nice plants last year. This year I will pay better attention to the weather and cover them if a freeze is expected.

I have experimented with various lantana in hanging baskets, and have found the purple lantana is the hardiest of the bunch. Obviously these baskets dry out easy in our extremely hot weather. Sometimes a once daily watering is not enough when it goes over 100+F.

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

YES we do. This plant is on the east side of my house protected from the winds and it is heavily mulched.
It is taking over my driveway.
I also have the purple lantana planted throughout the rose bed , in about 6 inches of mulch. And both survived last winter. WE get more than an occasional freeze in Dec,Jan, we receive continuous frosts.
I found the lantana to be more hardy than any verbenia.
I too want the yellow and white next :)

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Lantana is a very common garden plant down here. I bought one aound the 17 May. Since they are so common I only bought this one because it had multi-multi colored flowers on it, bright pink, red and orange. We went on vacation on 5/19 and while we were gone our sprinkler pump went on the fritz so my newly planted lantana isn't doing too well. It didn't die, but it's been really slow to recover. I've been trying to keep it watered. Is there hope and how much time do ya think?

:^I
Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.