Ramps in the Smokies

Lyles, TN

They have nixed collecting ramps in the Great Smoky Mtn Natl Park. Used to could get a peck for personal use, no selling. Still can collect from the Natl forest tho.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Since Ramps seem to be such a sought-after item around here, once I thought I'd try some. I bought a bunch at the Farmer's Market and put them in my trunk along with some other purchases. When I got home and opened the trunk, the smell almost knocked me over! How can anyone think of eating them???

(edited for spelling!)

This message was edited Sunday, Sep 29th 1:22 PM

Lyles, TN

Darius, That's an interesting way of cooking, I hadn't thought of that. Sometimes I do dry herbs on my dashboard, tho. With the ramps, I use a little more heat, maybe in a skillet. Thanks for the chuckle!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

It's getting close to ramps season again. I realized a few days ago we didn't have an entry in the PDB. So (of course) now we do: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/55403/

If anyone has access to ramps in their natural habitat, it'd be great to have some shots of them at all stages (newly emerging, mature size, and flowering...) And for those who have experienced ramps, a few comments (positive, neutral or negative) would be great :)

Chardon, OH(Zone 5a)

I'll try to get some shots this year. There are carpets in some areas where I work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.