bird house gourds wanted

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

anyone have any extra i could get for postage or maybe trade something for them.. with everything going on this year i never got mine planted.

i want the actual gourd not seeds

This message was edited Tuesday, Oct 8th 1:34 AM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I think I have some hiding somewhere ~ I'll try to remember to look tomorrow for you. You might email me your address as a reminder. Also, I'm think about a gourd/luffa seed exchange or RR if you are at all interested.

Here's a link to my post about that -- http://davesgarden.com/t/361438/

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

doesn't anyone have any extra gourds. I have tried to find some here but been unable.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

JCF, when I first responded, I thought you meant seeds. You clarified in your email to me about that, though. Our season is nearing the end and I've harvested about six or seven gourds in total ~ I really expected many more than that. It was my first gardening year and I learned the hard way about mold & gourd loving beetles.

Anyway, I did harvest one yesterday that would make a nice birdhouse for a smaller bird. It is still very mature. I'll gladly send it your way if you're familiar with the rest of the process for drying/curing gourds. It takes anywhere from four to six months to dry.

Is this what you were looking for? Or, were you hoping for a gourd that was already dried and ready to be crafted? A dried gourd would be much cheaper to send :)

Crossville, TN

Jcf...if you will go to my thread i started..."Terrible Ending (Gourds Fornu) You will se a post by Countrygardens that has some...they sell them at market...VERY reasonable too. Jo

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

morph thanks for the offer but i did find some already dried at a local produce stand. only cost me $1 a piece

roadrunner thanks foor the info but i found some.

thank you both for trying.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Well, you found a deal! A dollar a gourd is a great price :)

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

My gourds are still green, but hopfully they will start browing up soon!

d

Thumbnail by belledonna
Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Big gourd! I'm sure it will take a long time to dry this one!

Thumbnail by belledonna
Crossville, TN

Nice!! Jo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Donna, those are just gorgeous! Send some of those green thumbs this way will ya? lol...

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Ha ha! lol...
I can grow stuff outside. But if I bring it in I kill it. Shoe keeps trying to talk me into building a greenhouse, and I'm afraid I'll kill things since it's indoors! My family always teases me, they want me to touch things they plant so it will grow better. What a hoot! It's just the outdoor stuff that works, and it's probably because of all the chicken poop :-)

d

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.