Transplanting Hydrangeas

Byron, IL(Zone 4a)

My Son & Daughter-In-Law have been nice enought to tell me that we can have the two Hydrangeas from the yard of the house they just purchased. Will Spring be the best time of year to move them. We border zone 4 & 5 and already it have been down in the 40's at night. Can anyong help me out of how, when, etc. Thanks in advance.....

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hi Impie! The best time to move almost any bush or perennial is when they are dormant -- so whenever they start to turn brown and the leaves die off, that's when it's safe to move them. Here's a webpage that has more info on them:
http://www.ivillage.com/home/experts/green/qas/0%2C9505%2C187080_78775%2C00.html

Make sure you get as much of the root system as possible when digging them up -- and plant them in a good, composted soil mix and tamp it down lightly to remove any air pockets. Water thoroughly after transplanting and hopefully they'll do ok. Good luck!

Byron, IL(Zone 4a)

Thank you for helping.......I think I will try and get it in the spring. That will give me time to decide where to put them after reading these articles.

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

You're welcome! Glad to be of some help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.