Location of New Greenhouse

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Should 12'X48' Greenhouse door face south or west?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. (*grin*) More seriously, I'd hesitate to tell you for sure, as it's going to depend on your zone (and therefore climate), and what you're putting in there (shade loving plants? full-sun lovers?) I sited my almost square (10x12) GH facing south, which provides one bench a full western exposure. I use the other bench for plants that don't need quite that much sun.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

mine faces west! =]

mine is at an angle to the sun ess i don't think it maters that much. what should matter is how it fits into the spot you are going to put it, in relation to the direction you will be coming from and where you will be carrying plants to and from during the different seasons.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

After I posted my off-hand reply above, I flipped open a library book on greenhouses.

Keep in mind, this advice is for a northern gardener looking for maximum sun exposure and solar warmth during very cold winter weather. His recommendation is to site it facing south, meaning one of the long walls has a southern exposure. According to the author/GH expert, that will give your plants the most equal and maximum exposure in those conditions.

If you're putting up a GH in a warm climate, and/or to grow plants that will burn unless they're protected, that advice may be all wrong.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I got confused. Are we talking about the facing of the greenhouse? Or, as in her question, the facing of the DOOR of the greenhouse. If it's the door, weedlady may be interested in whether to be able to leave it open (or not) for windflow/ventilation.

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey Yall, Thanks for the input. Yes Horseshoe I was considering ventilation. However I was more conerned about heating in the winter here (We live on the river outside DFW Texas)We can have very mild winters or LOTS of Ice and in Spring twisters. Any really cold weather usually does not last too long.I can place a greenhouse any direction for room is not a problem Yet!Also Western sun in summer is shaded from trees. I still don,t know yet. Thanks

Grandview, TX(Zone 7b)

WeedLady, jsut thought that I woould introduce myself sice we live so close. I am just about an hour south of you and my DH has family in Weatherford so we are there often. Are you going to the roundup this weekend?
Leisa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.