SSI mess

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

My 32 year old son who is disabled with mental problems was notified yesterday he is lossing his SSI because I saw that he had food. He only drew $525 total (SS disability & SSI)with $35 foodstamps. He had to give me $300 of that to live in my house (their orders & they checkup on him). They upped it to $400 (fair market value) when they found I had moved out to FL . He didn't have enough to buy groceries & Gas for the car. I was giving him $300 to do that with. They found out about it & now he is down to $200 total & no food stamps. I'm not sure if he will even have medicaid or medicare now. His medical bill is way over $1000 a month. I'm terrified.. it is now 7 am & I haven't had a minutes sleep tonite. When I lived there I put food on the table for him.. whats the difference is he supposed to stop eating cause I moved out? How can he buy food & everything with less than $200. They asked him if anyone was helping him & he told the truth..guess it doesn't pay to be honest anymore. I'm going to call them today & see if I can find out if he even has the medicaid & medicare. He does pretty good if there is no extra stress.. I don't know what to expect now. Sorry I rambled on.
Sugar

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Sugar, I'm so sorry to hear this, seem like some can get by with anything and then if you try to be honest you can'g get the help you need. Will be praying that things works for him and he gets the help he needs.
Ruth

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I am so sorry. You are right if you a honest you are scre-ed. There is really a severe problem with the way the Gov. does things. I will say a little prayer for you both. Just go at it one step at a time. I say just buy the food and give it to him as a gift. Will that work.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Honibee with the SSI I'm afaid that saying it's a gift won't work..I just pray he doesn't lose the medicaid help. Without it they may as well lock him up as that's what may happen. Surely they can't expect us to pay for his meds & doctors not counting the hospital stays. Meds & dr alone is over $1500 a month. He ends up in the hospital at least a couple of times a year & that's thousands. Anyway I guess we will find out soon.
I think most of U have seen Greenw@@d (that's how he makes it)He was admitted to the hospital yesterday. I think it is mostly his leg where he had the veins removed for heart surgery 10 years ago. He has a infection in it Plus irregular heartbeat. The EKG looked a lot better today. He should go in a regular room tomorrow & if he does OK may come home Monday. Say a little prayer for him also.
Yardbird, Thanks for the prayers
Sugar

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Sugar, I will add DH to prayer list hope he continues to improve.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Sugar, How are things going?
I am confused though, who was admitted to the hospital?

the SSI thing is a disgrace. good luck with them, dont give up!

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Pebble, Greenwood is the one who was in the hospital. He came home today but has to go for outpatient therapy on his leg everyday. He has cellilitis. Where we have to go is 50+ miles round trip. Last time this happened it took over 2 months to clear it up.
About the SSI we are waiting to hear from my son's social worker. He had to return more papers. I'm hoping we can at least keep the medicaid. If not we are sure in trouble as we sure can't pay $1000 - $1,500+ a month for Dr & meds.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Well, I hope SSI will continue, I can certainly understand what you're going thru.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

An update & it isn't good. We heard from SS & yes he lost his SSI. I believe he will be put on a limited Medicaid but NO medicine. His meds will be between $500 & $1000 a month. I'm gonna try to find out just how much. I don't know how on earth we can handle that. Now to make it even better he has to pay back about $6000
that they gave him. I don't know how they think he can do that he can't even buy the meds. He was admitted to the hospital tonite after a attempted suicide. This isn't the first time by no means. I don't believe he will but anyone can be pushed over the edge. I talked to Binder & Binder who is supposed to be SS expert lawyers & was told there was nothing they could do to help. I don't know where to turn.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Sugar will remember your son and you in our prayers. It is bad when you get banded for telling the truth.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

egads Sugar, that is terrible news. I'm sorry you have to go thru that. what a shame.

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

Cripes - what a mess SSI is really losing it! - I think you can check with the manufacturer's of his meds they usually have programs to get people free or discounted meds that can't afford them - Will be praying for you and yours. Tracy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.