Pineapple Tomato

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

There have the best taste and I really love it but they are hard to grow. The have to be watched because they get insects before any other tomato and they crack. They are hard but I keep trying because they have the taste I love most. Does anyone know of an easier one grow with the same taste. It is mild but with a good tomato taste.

(Zone 6a)

Try Hillbilly. They have a bushier growth habit, but exactly the same tasting tomato.

Another is Big Rainbow.....I tried it a few yrs. ago and it looked identical in all respects to Pineapple in my garden.

Hawaiian Pineapple is another similar one.....they all taste exactly the same to me.

I raise both Pineapple and Hillbilly now. Just use insecticide...such as Sevin....to take care of those pests:)
I can't see that any of them crack more easily than other varieties in my garden:)

Owen

PS: If you like the taste of the Pineapple.....you might consider trying Cherokee Purple. It does not taste like Pineapple, but it has a unique taste of it's own; different from other tomatoes. I tried it last year....was ok, but certainly not a favorite of mine:) Some people rave about it, so you might love it:)

I can provide you with a few seeds of Hillbilly and Cherokee Purple for postage if you want them. LMK

Owen

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 19th 12:35 PM

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Just curious, Owen...why did you use Sevin?

I don't use any insecticide and they are all doing fine. I see a little leaf damage, and what appears to be leaf miner, but so far it doesn't seem to affect the production of tomatoes. The vines are loaded. In fact they are out-growing their folding tomato cages, of which I wrapped with twine also. Those BW's grow HUGE! They are getting bigger every day. It's a good thing that it has cooled off. I can't beleive it is only 60 degrees, as it has been in the high eighties for weeks. (But the weather could change back next week...so unpredictable..)

The changes in weather don't seem to affect the Early Girls in any way, but the BW's get "cat-facing" and grow uneven.

(Zone 6a)

I have used Sevin as a good all-around insectcide in my gardens for over 30 yrs. now. It controls a lot of insects and worms.....without it, we get noticeable crop damage in this area. Organic gardening works for some people I guess, but in our area....no insecticide means no crops:)

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

What pests do you have? (Just curious..)

(Zone 6a)

Tomato hornworms, cucumber beetles, aphids, the list is almost endless:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.