Gourd & Louffa Round Robin or Seed Exchange?

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Y'all,

I got to thinking, maybe we should have an exchange of some sort for anyone that is interested in growing gourds or louffas next year. I have some seeds, but I won't be able to harvest my crop for more seeds until probably March, 2003. I don't really want to wait that long because I'll already be wanting to start my seedlings indoors. That said, I don't know if I'd have enough seeds to start a Round Robin or not. I'm going to dig through all my seeds to see.

Alternatively, we could get a group of us together and do a bulk purchase of seeds. Here's a link to a site that I contacted and they thought they might be able to negotiate on their ornament seeds or their hard shells also.
Link --Hyperlink

Anyone interested?

This message was edited Wednesday, Sep 18th 6:03 PM

Crossville, TN

Morph, I think that's a good idea...but other than last years Dipper Gourds I only have a few seeds that were given to me, and just enough to plant the ones I don't have for next year. I think this years crop should be ready to open one in time for trading early next year...anybody know if this is true? Jo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I was wondering if there might be a few individuals who already had a small stock pile and might be able to donate a few? Just one thought...

I'm also looking on the internet for seeds and found some pretty good deals. That would help us get started.

Crossville, TN

Morp...I've never been in a seed trade...much less a RR...but I'm going to watch and see if you get it worked out and I'll be glad to join...with my dipper gourd seeds! Jo

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

i do have a million louffa seed will be will to join with these.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Cool Farmgirl :) I'm hoping/waiting to see if anyone else is interested. Thanks!

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Morph, i would love to be in a co-op with you!!!! i have some gourds growing in the country garden( when i last looked), i sure hope the deer and turkeys don't eat everything!!!! the catalpa tree seedlings and the gourds seem to be the only things not touched. i'am trying to identify some of the gourds from the database, lol when they are ready i can dry the seeds to share with ya'all

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Sounds great, Tootsie! We'll see how many others are interested and then I'll put a plan together.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

I'd like to be in on this, but I'll only have egg gourd seeds to contribute and maybe one other. Let me know what develops. My gourds aren't even harvested yet here in Washington State.

Crossville, TN

Pala...I hope we can all have a trade by very early spring! Jo

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 26th 9:25 AM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Perhaps we can have two events. Like Jo said, an RR in the early Spring of 2003 after we've each had a chance to harvest our seeds.

On another note, I just couldn't wait, so I found a site that sold a good variety of seeds at a decent price. I purchased about 6 to 8 different varieties. I certainly can't grow all of these. What I thought we could do, if anyone is interested, is to have everyone pick the type of gourds they would like from what I receive. Then, I could break apart the packages so we can all get a variety. Depending on how many were interested, I think an SASE plus a dollar or two would cover the cost of the seeds. They are seeds from 2001, not 2002.

If anyone is interested, please let me know via email or here on the thread :)

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

i'm interested, please let me know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.