Autumn nuts

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

This is the very first time my purple hazel (Corylus maxima purpurea) has fruited, so i'm thrilled. It would be nice if there were dormice nearby to take advantage of them, but i should think they'll more likely be gobbled by squirrels :(

Thumbnail by philomel
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Mmmmm. Nice fruits! I've been looking at all the horse-chestnuts for some good conkers. My Dad used to throw twigs up at them to get conkers for me. The ones I've seen on the ground so far are fairly small.

We have lots of sweet (Spanish) chestnuts in the woods around me, but they are mainly coppiced, so we have to hunt out mature trees for the nuts. Some seasons they're as good as you can buy in the shops. Other years they're useless. I think it looks like a good crop this year :o)

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

We have sweet chestnuts here as well. I have woods only five minutes from my home - some nights I can hear the owls hooting in them.

Filbert time here too

As i was working my way down the garden clearing a pathway to the compost heaps, i found this promise of spring to come hiding amongst the hazel leaves.

Thumbnail by philomel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.