Pinguicula

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I'd never heard of this until Mark pointed it out on the north antrim coast (we don't have many in Kent!). I took the photo from inside the car, what luxury lol. I didn't notice, until coming to post this, that the plant is covered in insects!
It's an insectivorous plant and catches its prey on the sticky surface of it's leaves. This one appears to have been doing pretty well!

Thumbnail by philomel

Aha! A Butterwort, they have such beautiful flowers don't they. We have a couple of species in the Forest too which I'm yet to find.

Happy hunting Baa :)
This was growing on a bit of rock right next to the road - armchair plant hunting LOL

Tokyo, Japan

I second Baa's opinion on the flowers -

The Japanese species' names translate to "Bug-eating Violets."
Unfortunately, the two (3?) J-species are mountain or northern, and I've never had one survive the Kanto tropical summers.
P. vulgaris var. macroceras http://www.mars.sphere.ne.jp/tamukai/musitori.htm
P. ramosa http://nikkotoday.com/news/news118/kousinsou.htm

High Baa - any suggestions for a dry/heat-tolerent "goer", and if so, any seed sources? (Hint - Several times I've come across species in the wild in the Mexican highlands, and even further south... something to keep wet and warm with the orchids???)

phil - how you could get this one to bloom in your car, when I can't even get it to bloom in my garden? - well, Holy Digestive Acids Batgirl, you're good, no doubt about that...

;)

Pinguicula moranensis?

I know of 1 nursery that stock it but they don't have a web site I can try and see if they stock seeds.

http://www.ii-okinawa.ne.jp/people/a-miya/carni/pingui/epingui.htm

Yes yes I know one of THOSE sites from THAT place but it has some good info

Tokyo, Japan

Thanks Baa - you're an angel.

(unless you're trying to imply the only Pinguicula I could successfully grow is "Moron's Pinguicula"...)

>:(

Would I?

Tokyo, Japan

Yes, of course you would naughty Zed.

Ah well Loph, (sorry I'm a bit late with my reply, I've just got in from a talk about hedgehogs in a fragmented landscape, which led to an earnest discussion on defragmention...........), you see it was Mark's car and he has a way with plants (as well as bats!!;)

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

vey nice pinguicula...
I believe that is P.vulgaris......it doesn`t look very much P.moranensis.....but I´m not sure..

Mitjo

The plant in the picture definitely isn't P. moranensis. We've a couple or so native Butterworts and it could be any of those from what I can tell from the pic.

Tokyo, Japan

Besides Mitjo -

If it were P. moronensis, I'd be growing it....

Right Baa.....?

;)

Only if your still insisting Anguis is a genus of snakes

LOLOL ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ;)
(that's sposed to be a slitherin creature)

yes, moranensis has much more chubby leaves too:)
is there much Cp:s on native in England? Droseras and pinguiculas only like in here too?

Lophophora, do you grow Carnivorous plants?

Mitjo

We have 9 native species, 3 of each.

Sundews
Drosera anglica, D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia

Butterworts
Pinguicula lusitanica, P. alpina , P. vulgaris,

Bladderworts
Utricularia ochroleuca, U. minor, U. vulgaris

There are also some hardy garden escapes that can be found in a couple of places too like Sarracenia purpurea.

oh, yes, I forgot Bladderworts....:)
there live almost same Cp:s than in here.....Pinguicula lusitanica and Utricularia ochroleuca dont live in here native.....
I wish that here would live Sarracenias too......they are vere pretty plants.......the winter is too much for them.......

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I've been on the lookout for Pinguicula sp. that are native to FL. No luck thus far. I do have one native Sarricenia (S. minor or hooded pitcher plant). It's not been happy. Too dry, even though it's in my bog garden area (it's really an overflow area for my pond, but it doesn't stay constantly wet). The flowers on the pitchers are really unique. I took photos of my not-so-native pitcher in bloom recently. I need to scan in the pix and share with you folks--I'm only 6 rolls behind :(

Look forward to seeing those photos ButterflyGardnr :)

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

I came across a wonderful seed site 9based in France) last night, and they had about 10 varieties of pinguicula seeds.

I had never heard of them before philomel posted the other day.

I am "thinking" about doing a co-op for seeds from the site, let me know if anyone is interested.

Love, Lavanda

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

and who says they need water!? I know of a place where there are 100s growing in a quarry with no water other than rain.

Ah but you have the right amount of rain (lots!)

they are in well drained grit.

Nevertheless they would not survive in a similar situation in my neck of the woods. My wild flower book by the respected W Keble Martin describes P vulgaris as occuring on "wet rocks and bogs, chiefly N England, Scotland and N Ireland", P grandiflora - "Bogs in SW Ireland", P lusitanica - "In wet heaths and peaty bogs........."

BTW I see they flower May-June (apart from P lusitanica) I'd love to see some in flower :)

ahh but these plants, P grandiflora, havent read the book LOL they are growing in pure grit and gravel. photos later this year when I go to Mayo

Was hoping to see P vulgaris in flower in the flesh?

.....and they still need the rain, whatever they're feet are in lol. Mayo is a LOT wetter than Kent, so it's all relative

These ones that I photographed when I was with you were growing in a very free draining spot on effectively a rocky cliff, but when it rains the water runs right down over them and the atmosphere will be damp most of the time. They couldn't live on a cliff in Kent

...........but I agree, many plants and animals haven't read the text books and behave in a very unruly manner...

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Philomel--I just noticed the other day that my native pitcher plant was also blooming--a little plant I rescued from being paved over in the Goldenrod Road/Orlando International Airport expansion last fall. I will most certainly try to get a picture of that flower also. Looks the same as the other, just smaller in size. The pitchers themselves are smaller, too. It is Sarracenia minor that I rescued. I'm working very hard not to weed out the wiregrass clump that it is growing in. I heard the pitcher depends on the wiregrass to keep it's roots cool.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.