Anyone Grown Hairy Gourds

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

I can't think of a better place to post this, so figured to try here, even though it's a vegetable.

I'm growing them for the first time this year, and have two questions:

1. Anybody got recipes. They're driving me out.

2. And most important, does anyone know how to save seeds from them?

Thanks in advance.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Brook,

Are you looking for a recipe specifically related to this variety, or for gourds in general?

Morph

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Anything that will work with it, Morph. I know I can interchange them for zucchini, in most things, which also means any recipes for marrows. But I'd like to see specific to this, too, if possible.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Brook,

In the "Gourds in Your Garden" book, there are several recipes. One is called Loki Kofta and calls for 2 cups of edible gourd (they say it is called calabash in Oriental grocery stores or liki in Hindi). There's another recipe called Indonesian Gourd Stuffing (Petola Daging). This recipe uses either luffa or other gourds thinly peeled. The other recipe is called Luffa and Tomatoe Ratatouille. It uses sliced luffa.

If this is what you wanted, I can share the recipes. Its just that they don't specifically call for a hairy gourd.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Sure, Morph, send them on. Or come on down (I'm just three hours from you) and we can cook 'em up together.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.