Smartmedia is data-hungry and ate my pictures?!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Aaaaaargh!!! Here's all the gory details, fellow geeks.

I am attempting to recover jpg images taken with an Olympus C-2100uz on a 128mb Dane Smartmedia card. I use Windows 2000.

The pictures were available for viewing on the camera, and I can see the file structure when I access the drive, but the folder for images shows zero files. The drive shows 90mb+ of space used, however, so I know there is data to be recovered.

I tried accessing the images directly from the Olympus using the USB cable as well as using my SanDisk Imagemate Smartmedia reader, but got the same results - the correct file structure with zero files shown.

I even tried plugging the card reader into my laptop, but it produced the same thing. When I attempt to view the card's contents on my camera, it says "no pictures".

Howie even went a step further -- Booted into Linux Redhat 7.3 w/ Gnome Desktop to see if it would see anything else, but all it shows is the file structure, and in that just one file: desktop.ini .

Any ideas? I am desperate here, but can't afford to send my card in to a data recovery service. The pictures I took today have sentimental value - HOORU!!! -and I really want to get them back. :(

Help!?

:) Kimberley

This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!