Tractors

I'm looking into purchasing a tractor for the farm here, and although I've already done lots of reading about the subject, I still feel a little overwhelmed with all the information and choices out there.

I've got a 16 acre farm. I drew up a diagram of the property here:

http://whitinger.net/davefarm.gif

The picture above isn't to scale, by the way. It's just to give a general idea)

About 10 of the 16 acres have been used to grow hay for many many years, but I want to start cutting that every other week or so to get the hay to calm down and make it a nice big 10 acre "lawn of grass".

Such a big area to mow really requires a pull-behind mower with a tractor, otherwise it would take an eternity to mow (which would mean that it wouldn't get done every other week like I wanted).

Additionally, I need a tiller attachment that can handle breaking ground of 10,000 sqft (and expanding every year, probably) as well as regular tilling during fall and spring.

Furthermore, a front-loading attachment that will pick up heavy items (stone, logs, etc) to be moved elsewhere would be extremely handy and well-used in my wooded areas.

Horseshoe mentioned a "live lift" but I don't know what that is.

So, does anyone have a suggestions? I don't really have a budget for this machine set in stone, but I want to keep the price as low as possible.

Dave

This thread has 21 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!