Hello from Alaska

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've just noticed this forum, and had hoped it would give me a connection to some other northern gardeners, since there is no forum for that. From the other postings I've seen, is it that we cannot mail seeds to or from Canada? What a pity. Well, even if that is the case, I'd like to visit with some folks that grow cool weather crops.

Here in Seward, our last frost is usually passed by June 1, and our first frost could come anytime from September on. It's a short season, but many of the cool weather crops are quite happy here. Our winters are reasonably mild, being along the coast on the Kenai Peninsula in Southcentral Alaska... the temps seldom get down below zero. We're likely to see rain as well as snow in the winter.

Anybody out there have a similar climate?

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Weez......(waving)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Starzz!

What is your climate like?

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hi Weez. Boy, I am so surprised to hear that your winter temp's seldom go below zero. That is definitely not what I expected from Alaska. I know what you mean about a short growing season though. This year our last frost was June 6. Of course I had started planting the day before so I was busy covering everything at night. I did this for about a week. Around here everyone knows you are taking a chance by planting before June 15. We have already had a light frost on Aug 26. I didn't lose anything but it is still the F word. Our winter temp's usually go down to about -45. Pretty darn cold in my books.

I have read about the non-trading between US & Canada on here too. I tried sending two envelopes of seeds through the mail to the US a couple of weeks ago. One went through to Iowa & was rec'd & the other went to Georgia & has not been rec'd. I think you just take the chance. I don't understand why you can do the international trades but not between our two countries. Or maybe I am misunderstanding something. Who knows. Of course I had written 'Seeds' on the envelopes, maybe I should have written something else.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Goodness, Broots, your season is shorter than ours, I believe! However, you probably get warmer when you do see some summer, don't you? Seward is a coastal town, and the Japanese current keeps our harbor ice free all winter. This also means that we see a lot of rain during both summer and winter. You certainly get some cold winter temps, but that is probably better for plants in some respects. During a mild winter here, plants can freeze and thaw, so I usually mulch to try to maintain an even temp after the hard freeze.

Unless there is some stiff fine for mailing seeds, I'm up for trying it. I usually list my sendings as collectables, which, in general, is true. Often, my seeds are not of much use to many in the southern lower 48, their seasons being so different from mine. Often I can trade with the northwest states and some northeastern, where we have plants in common.

What do you like to grow in Cochrane?

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Yes Weez, when summer does arrive it gets quite warm. 80's & high 90's & come winter we ALWAYS have a good snow cover for perennials.

I always have to have my poppies. Have two perennial varieties & also grew the 'Frosted Salmon' peony poppies this year as well as the california poppies. Just love poppies. Always have to try a few new things too. Amaranthus caudatus 'Fat Spike' was one of my new ones this year & I was really impressed. Also tried monarda 'Lambada' & it has just started blooming in the last couple of weeks. That is kind of late for me as I could lose it any day. Tried pentas this year but think I was kind of late starting it as it was really an after thought. It grew but not very big. Have to have my 'Lady in Red' salvia & 'Victoria' salvia & the large flowered penstemon for my little hummingbirds & also like four o'clocks. I'm also a lily lover. Always add to my collection every year. 'Indian Summer' rudbeckia are also on the list every year as I love the 7" blooms & and the tall white nicotiana & lisianthus. Lots of other little things that I only start a couple of plants of.

From the looks of some of your pic's it looks like you really start a lot of plants. What grows well for you in Alaska? Do you try new things every year? If I recall correctly you have a greenhouse. Boy what I would give for that. Right now I move all my stuff out into the sunroom & put a little heater in there.

Have you had frost yet or is it like here & could be any day now?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It seems like you grow several things I don't, but we surely have the poppies in common. I just love the somniferums, and I had some lovely Shirleys this year, as well. I have several kinds of orientals, as well, and one very healthy meconopsis grandis.

I always collect lots of seeds from my somniferums. This year I tried 'Lauren's Grape' and I was quite pleased with its performance...lots of blooms and over a long period of time. This was not my showiest year for the somniferums, since the weather was either dry or raining like a the devil.

Any flower grows here that likes its face wet and its roots cool. Campanulas, delphies, primulas, dicentras, etc. For veggies, any of the cole veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc. love it here.

I have a small town nursery business here... mostly to support my own habit, so I grow lots of different things. Each year I add some new plants, but I fail to discontinue the plants for the previous year, so now we are building a bigger greenhouse!

We haven't had frost yet, but it could happen any time. I'm sure we both consider it a roll of the dice in the fall!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Weez..I have sent seed to the US from Canada...and they went thru!!!! What's all this??????????? a while back on the Web, I came across something pertinent to sending seeds..only I didn't know for sure..it was official??? Can you elaborate please? Elaine

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

Hi Broots,

I did not know that I had a neighbor that belonged to Dave's. I live in Dobie which is about 10 minutes from Kirkland Lake. I was just in Cochrane on Saturday. We just had our first frost as well but not enough to damage anything.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hi Trailingon. Would you believe that I did not know where Dobie was. Duh. Do you have family or friends here? Gosh if you are ever in the area again let me know ahead of time & we can meet for coffee. I live on 19th Ave. We had a rather heavy frost on Sat but didn't lose anything. But I am not pushing my luck any longer & I am starting to clean out my beds today except for the rudbeckia & coneflower. I was putting it off as the little hummers were still around on Fri & didn't want to clean out their food source but haven't seen them since. As you know it won't be long before we see that fluffy white stuff.

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

Broots,

My sister-in-law used to live in Crochrane, but they moved quite a few years ago to North Bay. Terry and Anita Bovyay, not the right spelling, I spelt it how it sounds. We were on out way to a lake by Detour. I have lost a few things to frost now, but I knew it was coming. Would love to meet for coffee. If you are ever in Kirkland give me a call at 567-9650 as well.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Trailingon, I do not know Terry or Anita Bouvier but I do know a Nancy & Norm. We go down to Toronto about once a year as that is where my family lives. We just got back from there in July & no trips planned in the near future, but would love to meet for coffee whenever we pass your way.

We are having such beautiful weather today. Supposed to be 27C. I imagine you are getting the same. It is pretty hard to yank the flowers out when it is still nice out. But I have to get some more done today. Here is my # if you are ever in Cochrane. 272-5074

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

broots, will be sure to give you a call. Happy gardening, Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.