Frugal Mentality

southeast, NE

I grew up with a frugal mentality. Living on a farm, we grew almost everything we ate. We didn't have as much as some but had more than some. My husband grew up the same way. What I find amazing is how people now look down on this frugal mentality. We lived in a mobile home for 16 years saving our money to pay for the farm we live on and saving for a big downpayment on the house we built. It was so funny because before we built our house, people thumbed their nose at us for living as "trailer trash" but when we built our house, they had a "green with envy" attitude. We tried to instill this attitude in our dd which was hard at times when her friends were constantly receiving new clothes, video games, etc. We also saved money for her college education. Some of her friends who received all the trinkets when they were younger now have no money for college. Anyway, are any of you in the minority for being frugal? I guess it's "to each his own".

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!