Bi-color Butterfly Pea?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This pathetic little plant that has been in a 4-inch pot all summer. I've had it in pile of future compost plants. I noticed yesterday he has put out some blooms. The seeds were from a double blue clitorea. The center of the petals are white. Is this unique for a clitorea?

Thumbnail by poppysue
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wow i think it beautiful

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

i do too, none of mine did this

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Mine usually do have the white center.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

My dark blue one has the white center ..
Larkie

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I think mine have white, will have to check in the morning. It's pretty.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

My doubles didn't grow. Trying again next year. I really like the blues.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

The ultramarine blue shading between the blue and white is what makes it interesting to me. Do you remember where you got the seeds from? My double blue clitorias don't have that shading. The white area is less.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

what a beautiful blue!!!!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Dinu - I think I got the seeds from you!

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

Very pretty plant. Sounds like they tend to be a little bit different. I have one growing from seed that Dinu gave me. Should be a few months before my first bloom.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I haven't had the doubles grow for me but the singles bloom fairly quickly. I'm guessing less that two months from seed to bloom. Will certainly put mine in a hanging basket next year or a trellis of their own. I'm going to have a real mess untangling them from the grape vines.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Poppysue
I went back after seeing your pic and noticed that light blue shading in my flower as well. But it is not as pronounced as yours. It is almost a thin line between the white and the dark blue.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Has anyone tried to winter a clitorea indoors? This little plant will not have time to make seeds. I was thinking I might try and bring it inside for the winter.

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

poppysue I have been growing my little clitorea for 5 weeks now in a bright sunny bedroom window. It seems to love it there. Its really flourishing. I had heard somewhere that these vines do make nice houseplants if you have a sunny window.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

That is a beautiful bloom, especially since it is BLUE!

Would you have any seeds to share from this plant?

Another "BLUE" lover :~)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Shirley - this plant is so tiny I don't think it will produce any seeds.

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

Shirley you have mail

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Shirley, if you still need some seeds I have a few you could have. Let me know.

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

This year I started seeds for the double blue Clitorea ternata, but my plant produced both double and single flowers. All that I have ever had did have more than one color---looking at the bloom face-on, it would have a white portion between the outer edge and the yellow center.
I did have one single blue plant that I kept as a houseplant for several years. It usually got pretty ugly over the winter, but bloomed beautifully each summer until Hound ate it---hence the new one from seed this summer.
Anybody got seeds for the white form? Single or double, I don't care. And have any of you actually seen a pink form? Everybody was looking for it last fall, but I've not been able to find anything about it on the web---no commercial seed sources, etc.

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

MsBatt I found some seeds on e-bay for the white Clitoria pea. They are actually from a company who puts out a catalog called Plants of Distinction. If you ever find out where you can find the pink ones please let me know. I just love pink. I know what you mean about finding it difficult to find these vines. I have still not been able to locate any Spurred Butterfly Pea vine seeds.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/7385/
MsBatt, do you mean this one?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Poppysue, I'll post a pic somewhat similar to this. Look out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.