Flowers, Not Food

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I went to Powell Gardens for a volunteer day yesterday and came home with lots of goodies. Several very large mums, what I think is some good size starts of Blue Mist Spirea, an unpotted basket arrangement of lovely vinca as well as some individual plants,lots of 'spent" potting soil of 3 different types that will likely all get mixed together, a pot of some kind of canna that isn't blooming anymore, and hundreds of branches of mums that had broken off or been pruned that had been discarded, I can use the mum branches for starts if I hurry and do it today. I have a couple friends who will likely get some of the spirea starts. They had dug out a quite large clump of the plant and I only took about half of it. I got 3 pieces. The other piece is so large I couldn't move it into the van by myself and I didn't see anyone around to help me. I had the LP Gas delivery man help me carry the big tubs of spent dirt to the van because they were really heavy. He was sort of in the way of me backing up to them and only standing around waiting for the tanks to fill anyway. He was so nice about it too. One of the men who is a senior gardener helped dump the full trash can of cuttings and dirt from the 'headhouse'(where all potting is done)into the storage container in the back of the van. That help saved my body a lot of aches.
I would estimate the value of what I got at close to $75 or more. Such lovely blessings for which I am so thankful..

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!