Uses for Vinegar

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I recently came across some good recipes/uses for vinegar. Here are two that we use at our house:

1. Fabric softener. I pour 1/4 cup of plain white vinegar in the fabric softener reservoir of my washer and fill it to the top with water. I buy gallon jugs of vinegar for about $1.25, and I figure it costs $.02 per load to use this vs. Downy or the sheets. No, your laundry won't smell like pickles - in fact, vinegar tends to remove other odors so when your clothes are dry they will smell even fresher. (You may notice a vinegary smell in your washer, but it dissipates after the laundry's done as long as you keep the lid raised on your machine between uses.

2. Laminate floor cleaner. We installed Pergo-style flooring in our living areas last year. It's very low maintenance, but it does need to be mopped occasionally. The special cleaner is pretty expensive. Here's supposedly the ingredients in those cleaners:

1 part vinegar
1 part rubbing alcohol (speeds up the drying time)
1 part water
1 drop liquid dishsoap

I keep a spray bottle filled with this stuff for touch up jobs. When I need to mop all over, I mix it up in a small mop bucket, doubling the water vs. the other ingredients, and just make sure I wring out my mop well.

Any other frugal uses for vinegar?

This thread has 48 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!