Last but not least.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

A bigger view than one bloom.Anybody interested in a dahlia forum?

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

O.K. what did I miss??? Our these your Dahlia's???? They are WONDERFUL!!!!!!!! Don't get mad at me for saying this but I don't have 1 Dahila in my garden, it's not that I don't like them because I think they are beautiful I just have never bought one!!!!! I think I better get to a gardencenter QUICK!!!!!!!
sue

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Oh my, those are beautiful!! And not a weed in sight.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Ruby42, There is so much color in dahlias and they last till late, like till frost. Not only color but huge style differences too.

Thanks Cala I do work at keeping out weeds, we have gone commercial with these,I will have about 18 different ones to sell. I sell cutflowers too. My daughter who takes my pictures made a sweet brochure for this too. It is made on the Flash computer program where she works. It looks quite professional.

(Zone 5a)

I am interested in your brochure, that will save me the time of trying to make a list of the ones I want.

It's just not fare for you to tease me with all these lovely dahlia's. Your garden is just so beautiful, I can only imagine how it must feel to walk through there and enjoy them....I'd be in dahlia heaven.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I love dahlias too. That photo takes my breath away. It must be pure heaven working in so much beauty. I have maybe 8 or 10.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

WOW I am impressed Lenjo.............very nice! How do you discourage the mildew?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Kell, I don't do anything. Mildew in dahlias isn't a problem. We do see it at the very end of the season, once it begins to rain. Most of the time here the rain begins and doesn't stop so that the foliage turns black and then we dig the tubers. Those rains usually begin in late October or early November. We don't get hard frosts till about the same time, so frost or rain determines when we harvest the tubers. Joann

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Very impressive. You have done a beautiful job & should be very proud of your dahlias.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

mine get mildew early.........like now!!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Kell, mine are getting mildew now also. I just figure that since the season is ending, it's almost time to cut them back anyhow. I'm lucky, in that I don't have to dig them up for the winter...but if they need to be moved, that's a different story.

Donna

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I do not dig them up either Socal!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

SoCal and Kell, have you been getting a lot of fog at night? In your area the mildew should not be such a problem.
If your nights are dry then they must be getting damp when you water them?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

SoCal must be in southern cal I am in northern cal. We have little humidity but do get fog. I know in the early morning when I go out everthing is dripping wet.

Montgomery Center, VT(Zone 3b)

Lenjo, I have grown Dahlias and know the amount of work they require here in zone 4 as they have to be dug up at the end of each season. I tried them many years ago but each year a single plant's tubers would then represent 6 new plants for the next season once separated and stored for the winter.

I started with 40 plants of 4 different types. They were beautiful and I was so happy to see that the next season once divided I would have 240 new plants. Well you can imagine how long it took the next season to plant them?

However, the next season I had at least 2 types that cross pollinated into something new and four of different new shades of color. I dug them up at the end of that season and seperated the tubers. I had around 1400 that I could not see myself planting while still keeping my daytime job. So I gave them away.

I know zone 8 requirements will tell a whole different story than my zone 4 but I am certain it is still a lot of work.

Your piece of garden is an artistic masterpiece.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous Lenjo..what a lot of work it must be digging them up..and labeling them..but it must be a happy kind of work..as you are going to share them with others..and make a little money too..
Good for you!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Thank you Starzz and Jerry.Yes it is work but we live here on a berry farm that is already intensive hand labor and this is not any more difficult than that. In fact it is probably less. The berry prices have been so poor, we are just looking for other crops. And it is so beautiful and such a joy to see this wonderful. My hubby is definitely involved in this too. We do have a small tractor with rotovator and hiller that takes some of the load off.

About the beauty of it, I just don't feel we can take any credit. I am not trying to deliver a sermon but we just stand in awe of a great and loving God.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

YOu are a very nice person Lenjo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.