Caladium

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure if this plant is tropical or not, but I'm sure it is tender. Can anyone tell me when I can plant it in my garden as to the temps it will tolerate, and if I should bring it in over the winter....and should I let it go dormant or can it be a houseplant and then be transplanted outside again next year? I am in zone 5...Michigan..on the lake(one of them)
Sandy

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Sandy, We can overwinter ours here but you will need to dig them up. Newly planted Caladiums need heat to encourge growth. The soil temps should be at least in the high 60's for them to start sprouting out.The air temps should be in the 70's and the night temps in the 60's. They really like warmth They like a ph of about 5.8-6.5. They can be dug up after they are finished putting on new foliage, dont wait until all of the foliage is dead. When the leaves start to fall over and look "tired" you can dig them up. Leave the foliage attached and lay them in an out of the way place to dry out. When the foliage is dry and papery, it will detach from the bulb with litte effort. Bursh off dirt. You can store them in a warm, dry place in a paper bag or cardboard box, I hope this helps! Lisa

This message was edited Monday, May 14th 11:20 PM

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Thank You lisa..it definitely helps.It will be awhile yet until they can go outside, so I will be enjoying them on my front porch.Sandy

****another Caladium question please*****
The plants that I bought are potted in 8" pots and appear to have several(5-6)plants in each pot. Are these separated by root division? I'm wodering how easily they separate?
Sandy

This message was edited Tuesday, May 15th 9:41 PM

Clinton, PA(Zone 6a)

JustMeLisa,

You make it sound so easy, and it was. I did exactly what you said and everything went great! Right up to the part where I replanted them and they didn't regrow they rotted!!
I am so upset!!! What happened?!?!?!

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Can't help you...mine are doing great
Sandy

Naples, FL

Lisa,
I used to be in New York and grew cladiums there in the summer. They must have warm soil to start growing, which doesn't usually happen outside until July so I'd start them inside in May with bottom heat and then put them out. Keep them well watered. After the first frost you need to bring them inside for cool, dry storage. They make great color for the shade but the slugs love them. GardensAlive.com sells a nontoxic slug remedy.
I now live in Florida where I leave the bulbs out all year. They have two seasons here: Spring and mid-summer. Last summer I went to where they grow the cladiums in Sebring, Fl. It was really neat.
Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.