My cherry tomatoes are too acidic

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 19th 1:47 AM

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Crimson,

Is this the same variety you've always grown, or a new one? There are some (very few) acidic cherry tomatoes. Risentraube is one, for instance.

What I'm saying is that it just might be the variety.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I would love to know that variety they are. I love the acidic taste in tomatoes. To me, if I can eat a bowlful of tomatoes without getting at least one canker sore, then they aren't acidic enough. LOL! I just love the bite and tang of a good tomato. Plus, I feel more comfortable with the acidic tomatoes for canning.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

As noted above, Joan, Riesentraube is on the acidic side. It's the only cherry I've ever grown that tastes like a tomato instead of a candy bar.

I don't grow a lot of cherry tomatoes, so can't answer first hand other than the Riesentrauvbe. Maybe Owen has a better fix?

(Zone 6a)

"Large Red Cherry" was one of the varieties that I raised last year. It grew like mad....like a shrub.....and was absolutely loaded with one inch size maters. They were, to my taste, inbetween acidic and candy bar taste:)

Hard to beat if you like slightly acidic:) Myself, I love candy bars, so will stick with my 25 yr. cherry tomato:)

Owen

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 19th 1:48 AM

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks Crimson, but don't worry about it. I'll find the perfect tomato for me someday, plus I'm enjoying the experience of trying lots of them. I think I'll look into the Riesentrauvbe for next spring, along with the ones Owen and Mel are sending.

I gotta share a story here. I made some fresh salsa with all my Juane Flamme tomatoes I'm getting, and took it to work today. Everyone thought it had squash in it, since it was orange! LOL! I couldn't convince them that it was the tomatoes that were orange. But, they ate it!

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Joan, I have Riesentraube seed drying, now, and will send you some if you want it. Remind me in a couple of weeks.

Your salsa experience merely highlights one of the reasons we lose varieties all the time. People have been trained, via the supermarket etc., to believe that certain colors are "natural" and others weird. All tomatoes are red, for instance. All snap beans green, all carrots orange, all eggplant black.

Ironically, "red" is a Johnny-come-lately for tomatoes. Originally, tomatoes were yellow and orange.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks Brooke! I'll try to remember to remind you.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

my daughter never would try a bite of an orange or green tomato this year!!! her loss

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.