Perennials: Scarlet wisteria

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

This plant I started from seed,does anyone know anything about it,like how big does it get ,can I grow it in the GH in winter...etc.....

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I can`t help you with your question but I sure would like to know where to get some seed. Did you order them or get them in a trade? It sure is a beautiful flower.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Crestedchick - how big is the flower?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

C.C. I am almost positive it is one of the Erythrina's. It is in the family of Fabaceae/Leguminosae (Pea & bean family)
Subfamily: Papilionoideae

There are many varites in this family, I don't know which one you have. I have one, it is called the "Cry Baby Tree". It is one of Erythrina's. The foliage varies from species to species.

Busybee- we actually have a varity of this here found on the side of the road as a wildflower. However, it vaugely resembles CrestedChicks.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Its sesbania tripetti its a legume..grows all over in S. Calif. Likes cool winter temps (indoors) and warm days..blooms seasonally on new growth. I have one in the driveway..grew it this year from 8 year old seeds......:-)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Eclipse would the Sesbania tripetti be one of the Erythrina's?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

justmelisa..no its not erythrina.......those are trees and small shrubs.......this plant is a loose type bush about 3-4 feet tall..but blooms nicely when it does bloom.Mines 3 foot and still growing up!!:-)

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

We have these growing in the wet ditches here, I just ain't that brave to go in and get one. I have this thing about meeting up with alligators and water moccisans,yuk!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Dee-I was wondering if that was the same one..it sure looked like it. And yuck, the do co-habitate with 'gators and moccisans..yikes!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

what is the growth pattern, does it need staking? anyone know how hardy it is?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Yeah tig,these things I need to know!

Busybee,seeds from a trade

justmelisa,the flowers are about1 1/2 inches each and they do look pea like

kyle,can it grow alright in the house,is it hardy?

Yes, they do grow along the roads in the south. I also bought some seeds off ebay some time back and low and behold they are the same.....we have them in orange/red and yellow.
Dee next time you come this way you can get seeds on side of Home Depot in Gulfport.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

CC in full sun indoors you could probably grow it indoors..I can keep them in the greenhouse at work..kinda goes to sleep in winter.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Does this bloom the first year from seed?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It's beauty-ful!!! I want one now.(smacks self and tells self we are all out of room)

Poppy,
The ones around here normally come back from the roots every year since we do get freezes.

This message was edited Friday, Sep 6th 7:33 PM

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Yes I agree, the ones here die back to the ground but come back every year. They usually bloom here in the early summer. Haven't seen any blooms on them lately though. Gloria, I haven't seen the yellow ones, only the orange ones here. Are the yellow ones on the side of home depot. Ya know if I go there I just hafta go inside, it would be un-American if I didn't.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hey dee, if you go to Glory's..well heck, I'm about 3 hours away..you might as well make a weekend out of it.. :-) we can fight the gators and snakes together and gather seeds..all in the name of plants..hee hee

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

you know, I live in the woods and still can't stand the snakes, glad I am not real close to the gators though, however, they aren't that far. yuk! Will have to make a longer than weekend trip when I come over, cause I visit my mother as well. Let's see, play with plants and friends or work...don't think that would be too tough to decide. Ok, so I just thought I was done traveling for awhile. but hey, like you said it ain't that far. Shoot I drive 1 hour just to get to work.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I planted the seed this spring so its less than 6 months to bloom,Calla I'll send you one,I have an extra...I sent some out to people,just can't remember who....

Grandview, TX(Zone 7b)

CC,
I Got one of them, but it didn't make it. After seeing this picture, I wish I would have at least tried to do CPR on the thing!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

CC, you sent one to me!!! thank you!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I wonder if I can root it,or if I'll get any seeds....

Dee,
I think the ones by HD are orange...the last time I was on the Back Bay in Biloxi they had some yellows growing along the edge of a ditch. I'll check and see if the city has cut them down.
You know I have something growing along the edge of my wooded area that a friend gave me and it too has stickers on it and blooms lavender...I'll have to see what it may be.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.