Plants in character?

I've been looking at things in the Plant Database, and I'm confused at the huge difference between how I expect a plant to be and how it's described by people in the US who grow it.

Aubrietia is described in the RHS book as being 2" high, and I'd put it at maybe 4", but it apparently reaches 6-12" in the US.

Geranium sanguineum is 8" according to the RHS and the one I grow, but grows 12-18" in the US.

Most amazing of all, Erysimum Bowles' Mauve which is 30" in the RHS book reaches 5' in the US.

Do you think the local conditions are affecting plants to this degree, or is it that gardeners in the US give them so much water and fertiliser that they're growing out of character?

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hello Mary. I think the growing conditions may affect plants a bit. I bought some forget-me-nots as bedding plants in the autumn. I always try to keep them well watered and add loads of manure. They're now lovely and thick, about a foot high. I bought a few more this spring and they're puny little things. Of course out in the open, instead of being constrained by their pot they can spread out a bit. I'm thinking of letting a few of these forget-me-nots go to seed so I can grow my own in future. Any ideas how long I'd have to leave them?
I've also just bought some aubretia. It's about 2-3 inches high. The tallest I've seen over here is maybe 4-5 inches. If they grow higher than that I'll let you know. It's a hot day here. Yesterday I put in aubretia, saxifrages, lavender, rosemary, and asters. Back to seeds again today. In for a quick drink before I gallop out again. Bye for now!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.