is there a contest.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

for the latest first tomato off a plant planted from seed in march? I got my first Tip Top on September 1 and my first Jaune Flamme on September 3. Well worth the wait! Now if only those cucumbers would get pickle sized...

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Kathleen,

You win! :-)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

hehehe, I could share my secrets if anyone is interested!

(Zone 6a)

Thanks but no thanks! LOL

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Kathleen, I would love to hear your secrets. I am getting lots of Juane Flamme, but I've only had a couple tip top, and one lonely Taxi. Everything else in my 'mater patch is grass green still, and the days until frost are minimal.

But, I have to say, we had an extremely late spring, so that cut lots of days off our growing season. Next year I will try again, and hopefully Mother Nature will aquire a taste for northern grown 'maters and be more cooperative!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Joan, get some red plastic and put under your bushes. I used the plastic that they put on the end of the boards to indicate road hazard under mine and tomatoes that looked to be green forever started to "red" up almost overnight. You can also buy the proper shade of red plastic mulch, but this seems to be working.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks Kathleen. Hmmm wonder where I can find some red plastic. I'll ask DH if he knows.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I hope the frost holds off for ya'll and the tomatoes ripen.I've got several wonderful ones to share with you two next season and they take longer to ripen than the ones you're getting now!

By the way,how did ya'll like the Jaune Flammee'? It's such a flavorful little morsel,I'd hate to think I'd have to go a year without them...although,I only had 1 plant this season.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL, you have to realize that these were abused seedlings. they were left in 1x1x2 inch cells until almost July while I figured out where I was going to plant them. I SHOULD have had tomatoes early in August.

I like Jaune Flammee, but I think I like Tip Top better. I'm just a red tomato girl, I guess. I have been eating both of them like candy - and instead of cookies. the diet of the (gardening) stars!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.