cocoa bean shells

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I read once that Hershey's uses cocoa shells in their gardens. Anybody been there (hershey, pa) and seen it? I also read that the gardens smell like chocolate. MMMM

If you have any experiences on this let me know plz.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

HD sells them. They do smell like chocolate. Very good! Supoosedly cats will not go where they are, if you get my drift!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I went on a garden tour this past Spring and as I got out of the car, it smelled like someone had just made Chocolate Fudge. I finally looked down at all the pretty plants, and realized what the great smell was. lol

Warning: DO NOT put this in your garden if you are on a Diet or have Diabetes......giggle

I have also heard that as it ages and gets wet, it can get very slippery and slimey, so don't put it down on a walkway.

Donna

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Where I put it in june, it is already decomposed. I have not noticed it getting slimey but I do not have it where I walk..

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

I use this quite a bit and love it. The best part is that the snails don't like it so they won't cross it to get to the plants. The bad news is it doesn't last all that long and is not very cheap.

Does anyone know of anything that is good for walkway and will last for a while?

San Francisco, CA

It is kind of a fun thing to mulch with but it won't last long and tends to get white mildew on the surface. The snail repelling properties are also very short lived, because it loses its crispy nature and becomes soggy with repeated waterings.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

We've been using it for 4-5 years. We really like it; the smell only lasts until the first rain or watering then it goes away.

Paul

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

eek..i remember this thread...well thanks everyone who posted! I guess i won't be going out of my way to get any cocoa shells :(
Just doesn't sound worth it

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.