Type of Gourd?

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

As I mentioned in another email, I am growing both swan and dipper gourds. Do you think this gourd is either one of these?

Thumbnail by Morph
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This one goes by several names. Most often it is called bottle or birdhouse gourd. I have also found it labeled as Tahitian bottle gourd as well as other names. I grew theses a few years ago. Mine got quite large and are nice hard shelled gourds for birdhouses and crafts.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

That's exactly what I was hoping to do with them ~ make birdhouses. On another thread, Windsuffer thought it would take 4 to 5 months to dry ~ waaaaaaa! I wanted to give these as presents this year!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

They do take forever to dry. I hung mine in the basement and I know it was well after Christmas before I did anything with them.

Crossville, TN

Even here in AZ our last years dipper gourds took a long time to dry. Jo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Patience, patience, patience... I was doing well until this news. Now I've got to dig deep into myself and prepare for a much longer wait than expected.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Morph... I closed off a closet in the basement, added shelves for the gourds, and a dehumidifier. I think it helped speed up the process of drying somewhat, but in all honesty, not enough to justify the expense of the electricity for the dehumidifier. (AND, not soon enough to make Christmas presents!) If the gourds are left outside, the freezing and thawing seems to help hasten the process (unless you want to save the seeds to plant).

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Mmmmmm... A few wonderful suggestions ~ thanks! I may try to remove the skin to expedite drying but I'm very scared to try that. Thx :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.