Ole Blue Eyes

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A big blue eyed smile. Atalantic Bay Scallops from the Gulf of Mexico.
Sorry the picture's so hazy. These are in a bucket of salt water on a rainy day.

This message was edited Monday, Sep 2nd 5:33 PM

Thumbnail by Floridian
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Oh, Stacey, you don't need to apologise for that - it's a great shot! I love it.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Phi! So many people have never seen this side of a scallop! LOL!!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

And I'm one of them! Are those blue things really eyes? How wild!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Wingnut, yes those are eyes, altho their vision is not good, they see mostly shapes to aid in escaping predators such as starfish (and hungry humans)

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! That's so wild!! I never knew they had that many. LOLOL!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

They're fabulous aren't they. And i the title's great too - doesn't say how many after all LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I never knew they possessed so many peepers, either!

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

They look so neat - all those blue eyes, and those grassy looking things in their mouth. Very cool animal!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

So what is the part we eat? The muscle that closes the shell?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We eat the muscle that opens and closes the shell.
GL- I'm not sure if that fringe is just filtration or a line of warning if something big brushes against it the scallop slams closed or flees. I remember having a little scallop in our salt water tank when we were little. We were fascinated by the blue eyes! Growing up on the beach back then we could just collect our own critters.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

That is so wild! Thanks, Floridian.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

WOW lots blue eyes so pretty very intresting to know about this and love eat scallop so good.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Wonderful photo, Floridian. Are these scallops tasty? We have scallops up here in Alaska, but the size and amount has decreased greatly over the years. We only have them as an occasional treat these days. This is the first time I've seen a live one!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Weez, These are the scallops they serve as 'bay scallops'. (IMHO)They are smaller with a more delicate flavor than the big 'sea scallops'. The best part is snorkeling to collect them!

Crossville, TN

Glad to hear that snorkling for scallops is allowed again in the Gulf...they were in such a decline that the season was closed for a long time in Citrus county....but did hear that it was open again. Good picture. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.