Blue spruce

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I have a blue spruce that is dying to become a bonsai. It has been mowed down once, run over by a cow and trampled by two dogs and a young male human. I have it out of the ground in a plastic pot, just stuck in and watered occasionally and it persists in living and even putting out some new needles. I have an old iron pot that I would like to put it in. I have some basic understanding of the process, root trimming, top shaping, but need to know about keeping it out through the winter - do you bury your pots in the ground to keep the moisture and frost from breaking them? I realize now is not a time I need to worry about feeding the bonsai, but do you feed them in the spring and how do you feed them to keep them healthy and small?

If I sound like a rank beginner here, not even that experienced, but I read, and have seen a couple of rather unhelpful spots on gardening shows. they tell you to trim the roots, , shape the top, but no really good info on what you need to keep the bonsai alive. I'll appreciate any help you can give me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.