Seward, Alaska
Late May 2002

Common name: Globe Flower
Family: Ranunculaceae
Genus: Trollius
Species europaeus

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh..that's so full and beautiful Weez..I just bought one..a couple of stalks and a few blooms..sure hope mine gets big and full like yours. I put in an orange cloured one last year under a maple tree...it blooms but has not gotten really full. So this new yellow one I bought is planted in full sun..so I will wait till next year to see how they compare.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Starzz, this globe plant has really settled into my south bed. Last spring it was pretty uninteresting, but it took up a lot of space, so I considered moving it elsewhere. This spring it shot up to about 3 feet high when in bloom. It's an excellent backdrop for the tulips, etc.

It's funny you should mention the orange one...chinensis, most likely. I've wanted one of those for a long time. I liked the open bloom and the vivid color. I'll get one, one of these days. Meanwhile, I have to say that the europaeus has its own charm with those buttercuplike unopened blooms of yellow.

You might be surprised at how well the europaeus does. It may self-seed all over the place. A local gardener here in Seward has them growing out in her yard!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all the info Weez..now I'm going to go hunt for the tag that was on the orange one.....
I found it.....Trollius Chinensis "Golden Queen"..

Isn't this so interesting..

Cheers,
Carol

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yeah, Starzz, I think identifying plants is always interesting. I know lots of people get impatient about insisting on the botanical names... we're great for common names in this country, but I can see how it is confusing when the same name is used for more than one plant... or, as in the case of "Globe Plant"... which one?

If we're lucky, there are pictures on the labels at the nursery, but not always. I've started my own catalog of the plants I grow, and I include the botanical names, their growing habits, etc. I've borrowed lots of info from our PDB here at Dave's. Now, if I have a question about a plant, I can look it up in my own catalog.

I hope you give the europaeus a try and it is hardy for you.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks Weez..Good Idea..I take pictures of all my plants and name them..

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

Starzz or Wheeze or anyone:

Know where I can get

Trollius Chinensis "Golden Queen"--

I love that color & am forever searching for flowers of that shade of orange-yellow which are not Marigolds, which I hate. Any leads will be appreciated.

Karen

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, KarenM: I would like one of those myself! I think you'll need to buy one at a nursery. I've never seen seed for it. Trollius seed should be sown fresh, and older seed could take a long chilling time. I'll bet you could buy a plant at a local nursery or as a bare root by mail.

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Weez...

I'm still lookin & will let you know if I find 'em.

Karen

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'll keep an eye open for online plant sources.

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

For those still interested in the trollius 'Golden Queen', I finally found them available from Dutch Gardens. I ordered a slew of 'em!!

Karen

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

That's good news, Karen! I've always admired those, but they are only available by division, I guess...Thanks for the info.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Karen..wonderful! Hope you have great success with them. Let us know how they do this summmer.
Cheers,
Carol

Trollius chinensis (syn ledebourii) 'Golden Queen' come true from seed.

This message was edited Wednesday, Feb 19th 5:40 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

That's interesting, Baa. I never see it offered in seed!

Chiltern Seeds stock them and T&M used to although I notice they haven't got them listed this year.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Weez,I have I think 3 or 4 different trollius and love them. Don't remember exactly where I bought them. T&M does have trollius europaeus seed. Forest Farm in Oregon has T. chinensis, 2 1/2 container $.95, they also list three other varieties. I buy a lot of things from them and may haave gotten mine there. Also Greers, in Oregon, list 4 varieties, but only in gal. size so cost more. I have such alkaline soil that it is really difficult for me to grow lots things, but the trollius do very well. Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.