Sculpey Plant Markers?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm considering various ways to make somewhat permanent plant markers, seeing how the "permanent" marker on mini-blind slats faded to nothing over the winter! I'm still trying to remember what some of these perennials are!

If I were to roll out Sculpey and cut markers from it, how durable would the results be? I was thinking of writing the plant names on the unbaked clay, embossing it, then baking it. I could either make little tags, which would hang from wire stakes, or long narrow stakes I could just stick down in the ground. I like the thought of the dangling markers better, though...

My question is, is Sculpey weatherproof enough for this type of use? If so, how thick should I make the markers, and what, if anything, would I need to use as a sealer?

Thanks for your help, you smart crafters, you! :oD

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!