Sungold cherry tomato

(Zone 6a)

These are just-picked from my single vine in the garden. They start out yellow and then turn a bright deep orange. They start to crack when they turn orange....but even then they are a bit too sour to my taste buds:)

They average 3/4 in. diameter, are are nearly perfectly round. The picture is not quite true to color....they are actually orange colored. Pic shows them too dark.

Have not found any neighbors that like them either:)

Owen

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 29th 12:15 PM

Thumbnail by oblambert
Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I have to agree.I grew a couple vines of Sungold this year and they do not compare to red varieties of cherry tomato such as sweet 100's.They are VERY prolific though.

Pioneer, CA

We like the Sungold cherry a lot! The darker orange they become the sweeter they are. I wonder if location plays a part in the sweetness of a tomato. I grew a cherry tomato this year called Snow White, it was also very good.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

we grew and liked Sungold, but not near as much as the Isis Candy or the Texas Wild cherry (tiny but oh so sweet)

(Zone 6a)

You will love my 25yr. red cherry.....they are about 1 1/4 in. diameter, and sweet but not overly sweet.....no sour taste at all when ripe.

The Sungold was very prolific, but even when almost rotten, they were sour. Maybe my ground is different.

Owen

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Owen, would you try growing "Sungold" again next year, perhaps in a different location in your yard, or amending your soil with different nutrients to make the fruit taste sweeter, besides dipping them in some sugar before eating :~) OR are you just going to try other varieties because "Sungold" did not live up to your expectations?

(Zone 6a)

I have grown this one I call 25 yr. cherry for two years now, and it came "true". In other words, it is fully stabilized to give the same 'mater every year from it's seeds. I am gonna stick with it.....don't think it can be beaten for taste:) Productivity is very acceptable also.

Actually, I have experimented with various heirloom tomatoes for several years now....and I have decided on which I like the best for overall qualities; so no more experimenting for me:) I am 62 yrs. old and fading fast:)

The only heirloom tomatoes I plan on ever again raising are:

Red Oxheart (Large, meaty, delicious)
Pink Oxheart (large, meaty, delicious)
Ultimate Giant (large red and delicious)
Marianna's Peace (close to pink Brandywine)
Pineapple and/or Hillbilly (both are large striped and delicious fruity tasting 'maters....favorite of lots of my neighbors)
Magnum Beefsteak (delicious large red tomato; but has a very deep core)
25 yr. red cherry (decent cherry size and sweet)

Isis Candy is good, but not stabilized....Sungold is too darn sour in both potting soil and my clay soil; but understand that we all have somewhat different taste buds, and experimenting is fun if you have space and time. LOL

I will also raise Supersteak, Better Boy, and Pink Girl hybrid tomatoes. Love those three to get a bit more disease resistance in good tasting ones.

Owen

This message was edited Saturday, Aug 31st 3:03 PM

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Interesting observations & thoughts. Since this is my 1st year growing ONLY heirloom veggies, have done hybrids for more years than I care to count, I haven't tried any of the ones that you have listed. I definitely would like to try some other varieties next year. If you want to trade heirloom tomato seeds, please let me know. I'm currently growing:

Stupice (earliest variety with exc. flavor)
Noir Chat (very similar to Black Krim)
Cherokee Purple (Very good taste from an Indian heirloom)
Marvel Striped (One of the sweetest bi-colors)
Risentraube (Exc. "giant bunch of grapes")
Opalka (Exc. paste tomato)
Soldacki (Very Good rich flavor, large tomato)
Plus several "volunteer" cherry & paste varieties

Trying different ones if half the fun. Plus, gardening is what keep us ALL YOUNG :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.