So how do you get rid of it?

Burlington, NC(Zone 7b)

This may be a dangerous question for this forum - especially with all the vine lovers and the MG wars going on... Well here goes...

Don't get me wrong - I love vines as much as the next person - it's just that I've been invaded. I've worked hard to establish new flower beds this year - hauled rocks, planted flowers, and raspberry bushes, battled the drought. Then we get a bit of rain - praise God! I woke up one morning and the morning glorys have taken the yard over. They've litterally covered the beds out in the yard and now next to the deck - they are reaching toward the door in search of raw hamburger. I know pulling is one answer - but how do I keep them from taking over again - they've reseeded everywhere!
DH was funny last night - in a big blustery voice he saids - "next time you hook up with that crowd of DG folks - ask them how to get rid of this stuff - somebody there will know! Plant the stuff on trellis' anywhere ya want - but get it outa my raspberries!"

Help me Obiuan Kenobi - you're my only hope

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Ihate to say this, but pulling them out is your only hope. I still pull hundreds of seedlings in the spring/early summer. You can't even leave one, or they come up everywhere soon.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

One thing that helped me with the re-seeding was to grow them on strings. At the end of the season I layed a tarp out under them, cut the strings and dragged the whole mess away. I still had some re-seeding but it would have been 10 times worse if I had tried to yank all those vines down.

You might want to try a pre-emergent herbicide in hubbies Raspberry patch ... like "Preen". It will prevent the seeds from germinating.

Catoosa, OK(Zone 7a)

My DH tried to help clean up the garden fence last year. I had some MG's growing on the far side on the fence. He pulled all of the vines of the fence and piled them very neatly in a pile. Then he proceeded to drag them to the gate and up to the edge of our deck. When I came home he told me they were out there, in case I wanted to get any seeds off of them. I almost cried.

Oh, well. MG's make pretty ground cover too. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.