Petunias

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

:D Still blooming their heads off

Thumbnail by Evert
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Love those colors, Evert! My petunias did well early one, but the rainy season took its toll. They turn into a gooey mess that sticks to the other flowers. Aren't those blue ones interesting! What variety are they?

We've had very war mand dry weather almost all summer so it has been a good year for them... No idea what variey they are, these are sold almost everywhere in May/June in many colors and types.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've seen them in the catalogs, but didn't order any. I'll have to try them next year. The combination of petunia colors and the planter is quite nice. I grew lots of red petunias this year... the color was so vibrant! My blue petunias look more purple than blue, but they were still an nice combination. Actually, red, white, and blue are our US flag colors!

:) I've never grown Petunias from seed, it is so hard an they have to be started so early etc.. Just take the red away and it makes the Finland flag colors ;) RBW is also for France, NL, Russia, Yugoslavia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech, GB... :D

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Just for fun, let some petunias die back without pinching the old blooms. They form a pointed little pod at the base of the bloom, and when dry and brittle, you can crush them and get the seeds. It never occurred to me to save seeds until someone showed me where to find them! Of course, they'd revert to species, I imagine, but it's still interesting. I start my petunias in February, I think. It seems I garden all year long these days!

It's funny how all the different countries' flags are all primary colors, and often the same. Maybe we should start a new country and have a flag that is gray and mauve!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

For starting Petunia seed try the 'Park-Starts' seed starters with peat moss cylinders. Just pop the seed into the top of the cylinder, no covering required, and you will find the germination rate is very high. Pop the cylinder out of the Park-Start and plant without transplant shock.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.