Store brands/name brands

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I try to use a lot of store brands, although we've discovered that certain items aren't as good. (Sorry, but Heinz ketchup reigns supreme in my house :)

In the past, I have to admit that I often looked at the comparative prices of store vs. "name-brand" and chose the latter if it was only "a little bit more." Prime example is tomato sauce: the store brand is $.25/can, the national brands are $.33/can. For $.08 difference, I bought the name brand. No big deal, right?

Then one day it hit me: that $.08 represents a 30% (or more) price difference. I wouldn't DREAM of forking over 30% more for a big ticket item like a car, house, or even clothing unless I was sure I was getting something of value for the additional $$$ (Truth be told, I probably wouldn't pay the exta $$$ no matter what!)

So why would I pay that much extra for food or other consumable items - just for a national brand name on the label? (Plus if we stop buying their brands, maybe they'll quit spending all that money on [annoying] advertising!)

Anybody else have moments when "the light dawned" on you like that one did for me?

This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!