H. bean plant

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

How EVER you spell it!

Thumbnail by mingsmimi
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

mm... I had one of those year before last; it climbed up and covered the top of a trellis 4' wide x 9' tall! I saved seeds but didn't get around to planting any the last 2 years. The butterflys loved the flowers.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

WOW!!!! First time I ever saw it was in Cape May. New Jersey. They had them growing on a fence. but. I didnt; get to see it in bloom. They are very pretty. So. you save the beans then? ANd dry them out?

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Is the variegated part of the plant or a different plant. Would love to trade some beans with you. I have a bean plant don't know what it is called, my cousin just calls it a jack in the beanstalk vine. It grows all over and has lavender color flowers that almost look like a snail vine but then gets these bean pods that are about 9 - 12 inches long. Will take a picture if you would like to see it. LMK

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

mm... the beans develop after the flowers, and the pods are purple/magenta... 3" or so, about the size of a sugar snap. In late fall but before frost, I picked the beans, shellled them, dried, and saved,. The beans have a white eye and are quite pretty themselves.
They might be in our PDB... Hyacinth Bean Vine.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

that sounds like this plant! look up the flower in the Plant data base. I believe there are a few. That other little plant I think is a japanese mornning glory I gave her. the little one on the bottom. that green and white... don;t know

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 22nd 8:16 PM

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

It looks like a Lablab purpureus. But don't quote me on this as I have recently sent out a perennial vine to several people only to find out it is not what I'd been calling it. Very embarassing.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I don;t speak plant. so. Don;t know. but. since you aren;t far from me. atleast we are in the same zone. have to look that word up.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes Golddog, that is the correct Latin botanical nomenclature.

Very vigorous vine with lovely flowers. Easy to grow from seeds and it is determined to take over one's garden:~)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

it took over her garage till she told it who was boss!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.