Strategy for buying meat

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

So we don't take the grocery challenge thread off on a tangent, I'll start a new thread to talk about the best way to buy meat. It's certainly (pound for pound) one of the most expensive items in my food budget, and since my family isn't going to give it up anytime soon, what are your best ideas for keeping down the costs?

-What about buying a side of beef? Is it cheaper/better quality than buying individual cuts on sale?

What's a good price per pound to expect to pay for bulk beef?

Does anyone know what makes a good value when buying hamburger that is 20% fat, versus 15%, 10% or less? (Trying to figure out when it's a better deal to buy the less fatty/more expensive grinds.)

For health and budget reasons, I've decided that at least one dinner each week will be meatless (or only enough to flavor the dish, like using a hamhock to make a pot of beans and cornbread.)

I don't think I'll get my family to eat a soy substitute or even meat that's stretched too far with egg and cereal or bread, but I'm hoping some of you have other other strategies that have worked to help you satisfy your carnivorous family members while sticking to a budget :)

This thread has 27 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!