Snail and Corkscrew vines.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Snail vine on top and Corkscrew under it. The snail vine picture isn't very clear, but you can definitely tell there is a big difference. Hope that picture isn't too small.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

I knew I wasn't crazy and they were different.!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Yeah Dee, I didn't think Logee's would mess up that big on their pictures and plants. Because of the uncertainty I ordered the snail vine just to satisfy my curiosity, even though I had the plant years ago. Definitely two different plants.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm so glad to see the two pics I could do the jiggle-dance.
I've been looking for two days (one solid hr this morning!) on the Web to find a difference. All I got from each site was that they are one and the same plant;some places did mention the various different color/shades of the flowers but still referred to them being the same plant.
Brugie, do the buds come on in a similar fashion for each plant?
And do you know what Genus/species to call each one? (Vigna and Phaseolus both kept coming up as synonyms and referred to both plants.)

Thanks for posting the pics!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

All I know, Shoe, is that the Vigna Caracalla is the corkscrew vine and Phaseolus Caracalla is the snail vine. The snail vine doesn't have as many buds in a cluster as the corkscrew vine and of course, the color is different, even before opening. Maybe one or two buds at a section is all the snail vine produces where the corkscrew has many buds on a stem that extends from the main vine. I'm not all that impressed with the snail vine, but the corkscrew will have a place in my garden from now on. Wonderful smell. Do you have either of them? I'm rooting snail vines now and they root very easily, but can't find the right kind of material to root yet on the corkscrew since all the vine has blooms shooting up and down it. I know, I got a little wordy here. Sorry about that. Probably didn't even tell you anything you didn't already know. I don't know much, just that I'll probably grow them both again next year, but will be more selecting in where I plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.