Dinosaur Food

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Someone sent me pkgs. of seeds for Dinosaur Food and Friller Dinosaur Food. Anyone familiar with these?

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Dinosaur Food..Gunnera Manicata..they grow and look much like an elephant ear only larger. The leaves reach 4 to 8 foot in length and the plants are very tall..can't remember how tall. I know nothing about the flowers. They are a great conversation piece and people love to have their pictures taken in front them because of their size and density. i had some seeds and they did not germinate for me. I read somewhere to soak the seeds for 24 hours before planting. Good Luck, and please post a picture or comment when they grow, as I am very interested and will be trying some again next year.
Sandy
I just read that it is in fact Giant Rhubarb..you all probably knew that, but I didn't.

This message was edited Sunday, Jun 3rd 1:51 PM

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I sowed some of these seeds in December in the house, only one germinated. I moved them to the greenhouse about a month ago and now most have germinated.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Jody..so what do you figure...120 days for germination..if that's the case, i still might get some. I gave up on mine because i never figure that long.
Sandy

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Yeah, it took that long for germination but I also think the heat had some effect. It was a lot cooler in the house than it has been in the greenhouse. Try some bottom heat, it might speed it up for you.

Update... I just read the pkg. instructions, which state that @ 70-75 gegrees, germination is about 14-60 days. I have no way to do bottom heat.... does anyone think that a heating pad on low would do the trick?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Darius, no room on top of a fridge or upright freezer? I used both heating cables and the top of my upright freezer for bottom heat earlier this year, and both worked well.

A heating pad *might* get a little too hot - I don't know for sure though.....I'm sure somebody here has tried it and will tell you if it worked or not. If it does get too hot, perhaps you could put the heating pad on a countertop, and then elevate the seedling tray slightly with a cake rack or something? That way, the heat would still rise, but not "cook" the bottom of the flat.

Thanks, Everyone. I have finally bitten the bullet and sown some seeds in a flat... on a heating pad, but with several layers of padding underneath so I don't cook them. Cross your fingers for me!

GV... there seems no heat at the top of my fridge... and no separate freezer.... or GH, this year, anyway.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

I germinate my seeds in a zip lock bag with damp paper towels on top of the water heater. Have had 100% success rate so far.

hey, pg...GREAT idea!!! Thanks... I shall put them there today!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.