Dahlia showcase

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I wish I could invite all of DG for a peek at the dahlias. We had a little rain this morning and the colors almost seem more intense. I can't take any credit for such beauty only the Almighty. Anyway this dahlia is Rowdy, a collarette.The bumblebees like it too.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

That is a wild flower, I didn't know they came with two colors on the petals. It's obviously been a while since I looked at dahlias. Are there any hardy ones that could stay in the ground and survive a winter in frozen ground? Could straw bales be layed over a bed of them and provide enough protection for -10 or lower?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I really don't have an answer for that. I don't know how much insulation a bale of straw could provide, at least to minus 10 I don't know. Look at dahlias.com, Mary and you will think you have died and gone to dahlia heaven.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Lenjo, do you dig yours up? I never have...(I'm sure you've heard my story about the dahlias that had multipled like a monster.....- I tell it all the time...) when are we getting together? sunday is out for me, have another engagemnet (sorry)
I read a nice write up about the dahlia show, they were particularly touting the dahlia arrangements indoors.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, we dig them , freezing can be a problem but our problem is they rot because the ground stays so wet.

The arrangements indoors are wonderful.

I am still trying to figure out if I will be on the picker or not.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Pebble would love to hear your dahlia story. I have most of mine in posts to make taking them inside in winter easier. Lenjo, thos are gorgeous.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

In the past, if they were potted, I just cut them back and bring them inside dirt and all after the first frost. I kept them in the basement. I have not had a good dahlia show this year due to the drought and my surgery - I'm afraid they kinda pooped out. THey're still alive though!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.