Opium Poppy 'Lauren's Grape' (Papaver sominferum)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Papaver somniferum 'Lauren's Grape'
Seward, Alaska
August 2002

Common name: Opium Poppy 'Lauren's Grape'
Family: Papaveraceae
Genus: Papaver
Species sominferum

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

ARGGGG!!!! I tried to grow these this spring after my major hunt for seed and none of them germinated. Now you post this! LOL!

Thanks for the picture. I will try again next spring. They are beautiful and the color is so unusual.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sorry they didn't work out for you, Joan. They truly were beautiful. Sometimes you wonder if the photo is doctored up, but these were just like the catalog photo. I'm going to save seed, but I don't know if they'll come back true from seed. However, I'll send you some, if you'd like.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I would love some seeds Carol. Let me know if you get some extras and I'll send postage. Thank you! I don't know if they will be true either, but I would be happy just to get some poppies to grow!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'll get back to you when the seed pods ripen, Joan.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Fantastic colour carol. I saw some just like this at the Lost gardens of heligan in cornwall and all the seed heads had been taken off. They also had a double peony flowered form. Could I have a few seed too?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sure thing, Psilo. The somniferums do well here, so I always get lots of seed. I've kept the pot of Lauren's Grape separated from the others, but still within the yard, so it's anybody's guess how they'll turn out from seed. I have many of the peony red ones with the dark interior to the petals, and they look like the ones you have on your website. They are really beautiful. There are so many wonderful somniferums. The black peony poppies are striking, too.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I love them, and I am trying to get a collection together as they grow really well here too

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I have lots of mixed somniferum seed, if you'd like some to get some new blood.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

This is a real beauty Carol. Dark colours are so attractive in lots of flowers - i've been noticing those lovely nasturtiums of yours too.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Philomel. The advantage to both the Lauren's Grape poppy and the Mahogany nasturtiums is that they have light foliage that sets off the blooms. I've noticed that black violets often get lost in the foliage due to their deep color.

Yes, very true. Though i love those anyway. The leaves are enough excuse to grow them, even without any flowers.
I was very lucky the dark violets just appeared one day in my garden.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I should have said viola rather than violet. Of course, that brings me into the issue of violas versus violets versus pansies! Baa tried to explain the differences, but i am still confused!

Me too Weez. I even had a book out of the library on the subject, but i'm still not sure about it all! I'll have to have a chat with Baa if she's got the hang of it

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

If you have plenty of that mixed seed it would be fun to try if I can trade you for some seed I have. I have an opium poppy that is a single orange, with a lighter purple inside with cut edges on the petals. Interested?

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Weez that is one gorgeous poppy isn't it. Such an intense colour. Very nice pic.....Linda

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

GGGGRRRRRR! I am "ditto" with Joan J We were in teh same boat. or garden. or what ever. All my seeds nice ....washed away. People on the next block must have them. That photo os so nice. Went on a massive search for seeds ...all for nothing. :(

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Lenjo: Sure, I'd love to trade some seed with you. I've got lots of mixed seed and some others I could share. I'd love to try that orange one. Send me an email.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.