Brick and Stone

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I never buy brick and stone for the garden. There always seems to be some project going on in town where brick is being hauled for landfill. At one time the streets and sidewalks were brick. Now some are paved over. But a lot of streets are still brick. This tells you we have a lot of clay, and used it because it was cheap. At one time we even had clay mines. I remember, as a kid, riding my bike through all of the smoke the brick mills produced for the fun of it.

Stone can be gotten from any of the creeks (cricks) in the county, although so many people are using it for landscaping, you have to go now when the water is low or non-existent. Pavers can be had if you know where to look. Many streets in Pittsburgh are being dug up and the pavers sold off. The veggie patch is enclosed with pavers. No more wood that lasts maybe 4 or 5 years and then needs replaced. My theory is: use rock and stone from the creek for water projects and for edging, walls, and so forth, use rock and stone from hillsides. Stone aged by the passing of water has that certain look, I feel is for water features. Stone is defined as a small piece of rock. I just looked it up.

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!