how do you start new cati

Camden, NJ

my wife got a couple cati the other day and of course as i was helpin her pick them out i was also pocketing all the broken pieces i could find... so tell me johnny apple seed what do i do to get these to grow?

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

1976 ed. Cacti andSucculents for Modern Living suggests (for arid area cacti) either cactus potting mix, or sand/vermiculite mix. If the broken pieces look healthy, no soft spots or insects, let large cuttings dry two weeks to allow cut area to callouse (heal); small cuttings or leaves to be put immediately in potting mix. "cover the base with damp rooting mix, setin a bright area (but not in full, direct sun) and wait, keeping the rooting mix always slightly damp. Roots will form in a few weeks if all is well. Leaves from which you wish to form new plants should be treated in the same way, except that they should be laid on top of the rooting mix instead of being pushed down into it. When
the roots...are well developed, you will feel a slight resistance when the piece is pulled. It will then be ready for potting up....
I have dim memories of having seen a Sunset gardening book on cacti in a thriftstore, but forget the title.
Hope this helps.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good advice above, and also, check your local library for books on cacti and succulents.

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Tashak It is just too easy! Let it heal, and plant in well drained soil. Such a great plant , its not complicated at all.In your zone you could add some large rocks to keep you cactus warm in the winter. One of my neighbors made a cactus fence for the new gentleman who move in.All he did was cut it and plant it. 99 % made it. I will have to post a picture of this later. Water it enough to let it get established.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.