VERY spindly tomatoes

Alas. An illness prevented me from getting my tomatoe seedlings into sufficient light. Now they are 18 inches tall with weak thin stems. I have staked them and moved them outside slightly protected from wind and in dappled shade for hardening off. Any suggestions for how to strengthen them over the next month or so?

Thanks,

Carolyn

kelso, WA(Zone 8a)

You can bury the stems, plant them deep, quite a ways...Try that...It should help....I've done that with several of my tomatoes over the years...Haven't had any problems....Hope this helps!!...meplant :) :)

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Carolyn: Meplant is right. By burying the stems, roots will form and make for a stronger plant. You can either do it by digging a hole or making a trench and laying the stem in the trench and cover with soil. If your frost free date is over, plant them now.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Sounds good to me, too. :)

Terri

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9a)

I am on TomatoMania@YahooGroups.com and Dr. Carolyn Male, who wrote the book 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden was telling us about trenching or deep planting. She said it strengthens the plant as it enables the plant to grow extra roots! This allows the plant to develop a strong hearty root system and provides the tomato plant additional capabilities to absorb nutrients and water.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.