Watering /Mulching Techniques

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

I have read it is best to put a drip on a plant for a long deep watering. To water the top soil breifly makes the roots come to the surface instead of going deep if the water penitrated deep in the soil. We take a pipe and push it down a few feet next to a new tree and then run the water down it to water. And It seems to have worked.It is best to water in the morning as a general rule. Now I get 110 degree temps here sometimes a 100 at night in July/Aug/Sept. And extremely low humidity. So I break the morning watering rule and I water at night, I have no mildew. Its has worked wonderfully for me here. I beleive Mulch is equally important to conserve the water .It also lowers hot temps,and cold temps in winter, like insulation. I have found also this seems to keep a plant from transplant shock. You lose so much in bare soil evaporation. I use Large Bark. It doesnt blow away as much as the smaller bark. Even cuttings can be used. I just cut mine up small enough.
Any other watering techniques you Xeriscapers(is that a word?) would like to share?

Since this is a watering thread, I'll ask: How do you get the drip into the pipe? Is the pipe large enough to accomodate the hose, or do you have to use a special attachment?

I'm interested in details about this part.

Dave

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

I'm in awe of your being able to push a pipe a few feet below the soil surface -- less than 4"-8" down, and I am digging up large stones and boulders.
What diameter pipe do you use? Would that white PVC work?
My cheap version of drip irrigation is a gallon milk/water plastic jug with holes in the bottom; when I get more rocks dug out deeper, then I can bury them (after punching some side holes in them also.)
I do like the ideas of trench/circular depression planting. (Useful in windy areas, right?)
Some of the neighbors in the area have drip irrigation but theirs seem to clog up frequently and require annual or more often maintenance (digging up, cleaning, replacing).

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Stagecoach Nevada!!! What a cool sounding town. Tashak2 do you have gunfighters in your town? Dave, I just put the hose down the pipe. It is large enough . A metal pipe. I dont have Drip irrigation. I am the irrigation system. Me, the hose ,on the plant ,set at a drip. Some times so tiny I leave it all night. Tashak, Yes I dig all my beds about a foot lower than the ground, And build high burms around them. It protects from the wind. And late afternoon sun.Havent heard from you Tashak, are you in desert conditions? Maybe a Desert Gardener? I see you have joined in Jan. Before, me.

Santa Barbara, CA

Not all trees or shrubs have deep root systems; of course, those best adapted to limited water do develop deep systems or very extensive systems (sometimes 2-10 times wider than the height of the plant). Cacti are like that.

I like light-colored coarse gravel or coarse bark and infrequent but thorough waterings or irrigation. Basin gardening is a great idea, not just for individual plants. Water qualities in deserts are generally poor so salts build up rapidly if one waters shallowly and frequently.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.